Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
practicing out of treestand >

practicing out of treestand

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

practicing out of treestand

Old 10-08-2002, 08:30 PM

Default practicing out of treestand

The man teaching at our bowhunters saftey course this year said to shoot at gallon milk jugs from a tree stand.He told us to throw them out in different directions and distances.I can see his point in that a milk jug is about the size of a deers vitals.My question is will I break my carbon arrows shooting them into the ground?Should I fill the jugs with something that will slow the arrows down?That's if I can hit them or not.What do you guys shoot at,when you are practicing?Thanks for any help.I just bought a dozen arrows and have already ruined 1.I'm anything but rich,these arrows cost about 7 each.

GUNS AND KNOWLEDGE ARE THE BEST PROTECTION AGAINST TERRORISM
Old 10-08-2002, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: practicing out of treestand

You should be ok as long as your ground is not real rocky. You have a dozen arrows, heck they should last for a few years. Its good your instructor advises shooting from your stand! You'll be well prepared when it comes time to take your deer.

PRACTICE....PRACTICE....PRACTICE......SUCCESS!
Old 10-09-2002, 04:28 AM

I like that idea, somewhat more random than what I do.

I have 4 pieces of foam that I have at various spots on the ground. I put cut pieces of hanger wire to angle them away from the ground a little bit. This seems to work ok, doesn't penetrate the ground. I just move them around when I get down to get my arrows.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:41 AM

I myself teach a hunter saftey class and use the milk jug's as target's then I place larger target's out and then to a 3d, everyone is alway's saying why a milk jug well if you can hit a milk jug time after time then your shooting skill's just got better not only that to many hunters out there look at the whole deer instead of a spot like the heart area when they shoot causing a poor shot about 7 times out of 10, If you are worried about ruining your arrow's attach the milk jug to a round bail or square bail of hay
Old 10-09-2002, 05:34 AM

I use a 3d deer. K-Mart had them for $60 around here for BlueRidge. Wally has the insert for $12.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

Use a tuff bag and have someone move it to various locations around your stand. They can also retrieve arrows for you. Have them put them into a hip quiver and hoist them up to you with your hoist rope.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:05 AM

You could always use a can of the foam insulation from Home Depot or some other box store and fill the inside of the jug with it. This will be about the same as the material a Mckinze 3d target is made out of.

If you are what you eat them I am fast cheap and easy.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally, I don't like the idea of shooting into the ground. This is mainly due to the fact that I practive with my hunting setup exact, including broadheads. If I were to do what he says, I definetely would shoot only field points with some practice-only arrows. I still believe in rangefinders in the field and measuring fixed distances as soon as I get in the tree.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:25 AM

vikingvictory,
i do this every year. I shoot Gold tips and have had the same dozen for 3 years now, never broke one. I also pick one broadhead to use as pratice arrow. It has impoved my skills a lot.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:40 AM

MY BROTHER-IN-LAW AND I TAKE A MCKENZIE TO THE WOODS. ONE OF US CLIMB IN OUR STAND AND SHOOT, AND THE OTHER RETRIEVES ARROWS AND MOVES THE TARGET AROUND. AFTER WE SHOOT A FEW ROUNDS, WE SWITCH OUT. WE TRY TO SIMULATE MANY SITUATIONS THAT YOU MAY RUN INTO WHILE HUNTING. THIS IS ALSO GOOD TO PRACTICE SHOOTING THE DEER AT VARIOUS ANGLES. THE VITALS OUTLINES ON THE 3D WILL GIVE YOU SOME INSIGHT TO ARROW PLACEMENT TO COMPENSATE FOR THE DEERS ANGLE (QUARTERING AWAY, ETC.)

KEEP PRACTICING, AND BEST OF LUCK!!

Quick Reply: practicing out of treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.