HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   deer feeding banned in ny what about you?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/12128-deer-feeding-banned-ny-what-about-you.html)

monsterbuckland 10-08-2002 08:30 PM

deer feeding banned in ny what about you??

they passed a law banning feeding deer, any feeding, because of fear of cronic wasting disease!! here in ny! i dont feed the deer but know alot who do still?? i see all these new feeders they sell and stuff and im sure agway dont care if you buy it!!

IL_BOW_MAN 10-08-2002 08:40 PM

RE: deer feeding banned in ny what about you??

Same here in IL. They banned any and all feeding except for foodplots and such. Salt blocks, mineral licks.....all are banned. They are considered baiting if you hunt them, but they banned it all together now.

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

BOWFANATIC 10-08-2002 08:51 PM

Same here in Wisconsin.

"Nocked,cocked & ready to rock"

bad czech 10-08-2002 11:23 PM

You can still bait in OK but I can't bring myself to hunt that way. I don't have a problem with those that do, you bait a hook for fish.

Turc 10-09-2002 07:34 AM

You can't feed, but if you have the land there's no law that says you can't plant. If you feel you need to draw deer to your property with food, you just need to plan (and plant)early.

Turc

Mantis Mayer 10-09-2002 07:57 AM

WOW! Where can I find this info on the web?

BobCo19-65 10-09-2002 07:59 AM

I think one of the mainreasons they banned feeding deer herein NY was because of the numbers of deer located in Suburban areas. I have seen people feeding the deer in nearby parks all kinds of crap including Fruit Loops, Oranges, Candy, etc.etc.etc. These deer are not in any way afraid of humans and actually come toward you if you walk in the park. It's way out of hand. I have been for this type of ban for years. Now if you add in the possibity CWD to these deer, I believe that it would spread badly.

MJL927 10-09-2002 08:17 AM

I'm not entirely sure but I think NY has had a ban on feeding deer for quite some time. They just have been cracking down on it more since CWD has become wider spread. Especially up in the Adirondacks.

-Mike

ChefKell 10-09-2002 09:42 AM

They Shrunk the "5 gallon max." of bait to 2 gallons this year in Michigan. Cetain counties with instances of TB have been changed to No Bait zones.
I'll bet next year it's No Bait statewide though, with the threat of CWD. That would suit me just fine, but a lot of the old timers are going to throw a fit.

ChefKell

Hucklburry 10-09-2002 10:29 AM

Given what we think we know about CWD, I think any responsible hunter should give up baiting. Given the studies I have read about baiting, hunters hunting over bait actually have marginally less success (almost even). We can't bait here in MO, and I am glad we can't. I know there are slobs who do hunt over bait. Do some work, learn what the deer are doing and when, and hunt them accordingly. Planting is a good thing in my opinion, you can plant nutrients that help the deer instead of throwing out corn, which isn't that great for deer considering other options.

And don't tell me that your neighbor is baiting so you have to bait too. If your that close, hunt the trails that are on your hunting area that lead to his bait. Get them coming and going, just like to crops. In fact, if they are hitting the bait at night, maybe you can get them close to dark or early AM.

--Jim