HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   why can't I get a pass through??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/121239-why-cant-i-get-pass-through.html)

darian1998 11-15-2005 05:53 PM

why can't I get a pass through???

I got a new set up late last year

2 year old pse baby g
55# draw weight
pse carbon force 300 arrows
wasp 100g hammer sst broadheads

So I shot two deer this season and did not get a pass through either time. I found one of the two.

Both shots were nearly identical perfect broadside. Arrow hit 3-4 inches behind shoulder and on the lower half of the deer.

My question is why cant I get a pass through? My old set up with aluminum arrows I got a pass through every time.

Is it just bad luck?

thenuge15 11-15-2005 06:32 PM

RE: why can't I get a pass through???

Isyour bow tuned and your broadheads sharp? You don't need a pass through. The arrow only has to go in like 10" to go through the first lung and puncture the second. Also not to be mean but you did not shoot that deer 3-4" behind the shoulder and not find it because that would be a double lung and it would be down within 200yds.

KickerPoint79 11-15-2005 06:43 PM

I'm not sure about this one. It looks like your setup should get pass throughs without
any problem with the shot placement you describe. The only problem that could cause
this is maybe a poorly tuned arrow. If the arrow hits any other way thanperfectly straight a lot
of the energy would be wasted and poor penetration would result. That is the only reason
I could imagine. If not that I have no clue.

darian1998 11-15-2005 06:45 PM

the bow was paper tuned this fall before season...the broadheads were brand new razor sharp. I have a set I practice with and a set a hunt with. The doe I lost ran on to a neighboring property. The owner is very tempermental and does not let anyone on his land. I went and asked to retrieve my deer he said no and the he went and sat on his four wheeler in the general area of my deer until dark That particular stand is built in two oak trees and is 60 yards from the property line.

bigcountry25 11-15-2005 06:47 PM

What are the specs of your setup arrow length draw length stuff you have on the string what exact pse arrows do you have.

Kybuckhunter 11-15-2005 07:04 PM

You must be hitting the far shoulder and not realizing it otherwise it should pass through easily. Are you shooting mechanical broadheads? If so that may be your problem. At 55 pounds it may not have enough energy to pass through.

pjhunts 11-15-2005 07:05 PM

your neighbor is a real @#@ hole!! With your setup a rib bone could easily stop your arrow from passing through, your arrow may nic a rib on the way in and deflect off into the body cavity. Complete pass throughs aren't that important, 8-10 inches is plenty of penetration

thenuge15 11-15-2005 07:50 PM

Sorry for accusing you of not hitting it right. You never mentioned anything about the other land. Have you shot your broadheads you hunt with? Do they hit the same as fps.

funeralplanner1 11-15-2005 08:14 PM

Should have called the game warden. I believe he could have gone in and got that deer for you.

Kanga 11-15-2005 08:43 PM

the bow was paper tuned this fall before season...
Did you do the paper tuning or some guy at the pro shop?

Did you group tune?

Did you do a walk back tune?

Did you spin check your arrows to see if they had any wobble in them?

Have you checked for string creep?

I for one put no faith in paper tuning and if I do shoot through paper it is only a starting point of the tuning process.

Go to Eastons site and download their tuning guide.