Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Drawing on a deer.......... >

Drawing on a deer..........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Drawing on a deer..........

Old 10-09-2002, 06:55 AM

Default RE: Drawing on a deer..........

Lot of good advice here already, but I'll add my 2 cents worth. One thing that I've noticed is if you make eye contact with a deer, he gets a bit more spooky. If he looks up at you, divert your eye's away, but not so far that you can see the deer out of your peripherial (sp?) vision. When you see him move, then make your move. But, you have to be careful, if it's an experienced deer, it will make false moves just to see if you will move.

Using a head net will help hide your face.

Also, if your sitting, use a bow stand or hold your bow upright b/t your legs with an arrow nocked. This will also help minimize your movements.

Good luck!!
Old 10-09-2002, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> But, you have to be careful, if it's an experienced deer, it will make false moves just to see if you will move. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Great point. That stomp or one step always puts a on my face. Whatever you do, don't react to it!

Edited by - BobCo19-65 on 10/09/2002 08:03:26
Old 10-09-2002, 08:11 AM

All of these suggestions are dead on. One I'd like to add:

When I draw on a deer I make sure my bow is faceing directly towards it, that way the movement is slightly hidden by the bow as you're drawing directly away from the deer's eyes.

Old 10-09-2002, 11:08 AM

I am right handed so I try to place my feeder to the left of my stand so that the deer will enter the hunting are from that direction. This setup allows me to draw on a deer without having to shift around a lot on my stand. I also shoot from a sitting position, and I usually only draw when the deer's head is down and feeding. At this position their ears are usually angled towards the ground which cuts their superior hearing just a little. Any little bit helps.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:57 AM

Found myself nodding my head all the way down this thread. Had an experience just like yours but had 7 deer come into the clearing. One stopped at the edge and started stomping and snorting. This was due to a very bad entry on my part, walked 50 yards past my stand and had to come back so leaving scent. A couple of the deer stopped and started sniffing the air. Then the dreaded eye contact, but i stayed still and they all continued about their business except the trouble maker, so I drew on the deer which had moved right in front of me but I kept my eyes fixed on the other so I could pause if she busted me again. Anyway I got to full draw and got my shot off. She ran 20 yards then dropped like a stone. They all scattered except 1 deer which just stood there looking right at me. I was half way down the tree before it ran, must have been real smart or real stupid.

X-Pat Brit Livin the good life in NC
Old 10-09-2002, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

I NEVER sit down! I'll stand in the &quot;stand&quot; for 3 to 3.5 hours at a time.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:51 PM

Lots of good advice hear. Outdoorsman and Texas Hunter touched on this but one thing I was slow to pick up on was that a deers eyes are set on the side of their heads like most &quot;prey&quot; animals. This allows them to see close to 360 degs. If you can see the blacks of their eyes, they can see you so if possible try to wait till their eyes are hidden as mentioned already.

One additional tip, if you set up in a tree that is too small the treetop may jiggle when you even shift your weight in the stand. I always try to avoid this senerio if possible but the main thing is to be aware of it. It may be tree movement that is spooking them.
Good luck all...Fletch

Good Luck All....Fletch

Edited by - fletchdp on 10/09/2002 13:53:03
Old 10-09-2002, 02:17 PM

Well a tip if i were you that i would take is to practice sitting down. I can shoot just as good sitting as i can standing. and if you are standing then you should wait until the deer can't see you and then draw.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:47 PM

Woodrow88,

Depending if your in a tree stand the guys have answered your question and fletchdp is correct about eyes. Don't make direct eye contact.

My 2 cents if your hunting on the ground is to get a few tips from:
http://www.hotspothunting.com/common...e.asp?id=23469

You don't have to do everything in there to be successful, just pick out pointers that you can use.

Good luck

The Ultimate Crawl

The only close crawl in archery
Old 10-09-2002, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

I watch a deer's tail as much as anything else but don't forget the swiviling ears too. Most, especially whitetails while feeding, will twitch their tail just before raising their heads for a look see or a sniff.

Bowhunter

Quick Reply: Drawing on a deer..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.