Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Leaving your Treestand UP! >

Leaving your Treestand UP!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Leaving your Treestand UP!

Old 11-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leaving your Treestand UP!

If you are running into so many stands on public land and no one is using them, hell climb aboard and hunt. [8D]
Dont you remember that one guy from like veitnam or some country that killed all those hunters?
Old 11-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, it is absolutely legal to leave your stand up on public ground in Illinois; it just has to have a tag affixed displaying the hunter's name and contact info, and must be taken down by Jan. 15.

Your situation revolves around the fact that shotgun season opens in Illinois this weekend. I saw a new stand up this past week in an aread I've been hunting all year, with no sign that anyone else was present until that. I remarked about my stand getting stolen this past week, and I believe that had a lot to do with it... the "orange army" preparing to invade. Most of the time, the woods is mine. This time of the year, however, is a different story.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I amazes me that so many gun hunters feel the need for a tree stand to hunt. When I am gunning, I like the flexibility of having my feet on the ground. Talk about overkill.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:22 PM

whether its legal or not, does the law give the person who has put up his stand and left it,the right to claim that area for who knows how long,i'd run it by the game warden, but the bottom line, if its public land and no one is in the stand, i'd climb up and HUNT,if the owner shows up and gets angry, ask him to show you his property deed, don't mean to be a butt, but here in south al. it would be on.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:54 PM

or maybe he could go out before the season starts, like everyone else who hunts public ground, find a sweetspot, put up a stand, and hope someone does not set up 50 yds from you, like every other person that hunts public ground does!
Old 11-15-2005, 03:00 PM

This is pretty common on public land. My advice is to huntwhere you want regardless if there is another stand in the area or not. If you get crowded, either stick it out or move along. Been doing it that way for years. That's life on public land.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:36 PM

i just get a little irritated at people who stroll onto public land for a short weekend in the middle of the season and complain that there are so many stands up. i hunt public ground in central illinois and like it alot. where i hunt, they don't alow shotgun hunting. it takes time to scout a place, publis or private, and that is what i do to try to ensure that i don't get crowded out. and yes i leave my stand out, one, because i live close and it makes sense, and two, because it is not illegal in ill. if it was, i would not. if someone wants to hunt my stand when i am not there, go ahead, just don't take my gear. if it gets stolen, oh well my loss. talk to the other hunters in the parking areas in the morning and find out where they are? what times they usually hunt? everyone i talk to is very polite, because they don't want to get crowded out either. communication with other hunters is key to hunting public ground. public ground is what it is, it is public, so lets just all get along and respect each other on public ground and have a great season!
Old 11-15-2005, 03:53 PM

yes it is legal to leave your stand up on public land in minnesota, but if someone beats you to it they can use your stand and u cant say s***....thats what i would advise to you, if no one is there use it, atleast thats how its done here in mn....i gun hunt on public land and thats common practice, i have arrived to one of my stands and pple have been in it and i just keep walkin, its what u risk to leave your stand in the woods on public land that is
Old 11-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in Alabama if we find a treestand that has been left in a tree we take it down and leave it at the foot of the tree ... its not a fine resturant where you have a reservation or a concert where you have someone reserve your seat ... its first come first serve ...if you find a stand in a place you want to hunt and its public land ...I would climb right next to it ...

dd
Old 11-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

I just got back from 12 days of Central Illinois public land hunting (maybe the same place you where at)

I ran into plenty of stands but also found plenty of places to hunt where nobody was. Its legal so I have to deal with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.