Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Funny Walmart story >

Funny Walmart story

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Funny Walmart story

Old 11-15-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Funny Walmart story

Well there i was standing in the walmart checkout with 2 boxes of Winchester Drylock duck shells. Some old lady behind me said "you going hunting" I said yep, and then she said for what, so i said ducks, She then asked me how can you shoot them they are so beautiful, i said it is easy put the bead on there beak and pull the trigger. I said you must belong to peta, and she said no but she hates it that people are aloud to hunt. and i said well since ducks are so beautiful what is your address i shot a limit yesterday and i think i can do it again i will stop by and give you and up close look at them.

I cant believe that some people can actually try putting the guilt trip on us about killing these "poor animals." LOL

Just thought i would share my 3 experience with and animal rights person.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:41 AM

Default RE: Funny Walmart story

That is awsome that you offered to show her some ducks up close! LOL
Old 11-15-2005, 10:54 AM

In my opinion, your response to her was both untactful and pretty rude, and a poor reflection on the hunting community in general.
See, I look at it this way. She has a right, protected by our government, to think that ducks should not be hunted, which she expressed to you. You have the same right to defend your right to hunt. Here is where, IMHO, you went wrong. She is now going to tell her friends, maybe...maybe not, what happened in that line. But, if she does and they are borderline folk who dont really mind hunting, they are gonna think, "Wow, that guy could have just shrugged it off and gone through the line, done his thing and be done with it" Now, their new point of view might be, "Wow, I bet most hunters are like that, what a rude and inconsiderate thing to do to a person who was just expressing their opinion." Perhaps they might become activists theirselves, based merely on your interaction with this one woman.
Now..you have freedom of speech, as does she, but remember EVERYONE what you do and say to non-hunters can sometimes be turning points in their opinions of us as a whole. We need to work with these people, be kind to them as you would to another hunter, and when they try to get your going, just shrug it off and move on, no need for witty retorts and wisea$$ remarks...
We cant afford to make more enemies...
Old 11-15-2005, 11:02 AM

im still laughing,

Campo get a grip
Old 11-15-2005, 11:16 AM

That lady also could have kept moving but she voiced her opinion and i am sure there is a better way she could have said it to. But she asked for it. The one person you never ever tell what your negative feelings towards hunting are is a hunter.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:23 AM

I could not have resisted either. The people she will tell that story to probably already know what a know it all busy body loud mouth she is anyways Campo.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:43 AM

Look, I will not deny that I chuckled when I read the story initially. Still, I stand by my guns. Obviously, fewhere believe in being the bigger person, keeping their mouth shut and moving on. This is perhaps one of the qualities that I dislike mostabout some hunters, is their inability to simple keep their mouths shut when confronted. They feel that if someone says something at them, they gotta respond the same way, rather than just fogetting about it and letting it go.
Witty response to her...most definetly. Tactful and considerate, definetly not. I am not saying she was in the right, or that she was considerate...not at all. What I am saying is that YOU could have been the bigger person, not responded to being antagonized like a child, and moved on.
I really dont want to make enemies here, since I am new to this forum. But, I stand by the age old adage, "Though I dont agree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Old 11-15-2005, 11:54 AM

what are we supposed too kiss thier @#%$# she should have kept her damn mouth shut
Old 11-15-2005, 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: wamma

what are we supposed too kiss thier @#%$# she should have kept her damn mouth shut
Ummmm no...obviously you either
A) Did not read either of my posts well
B) Are just plain ignorant and will not listen to other peoples points of view

Either way...please read my original posts and reconsider your response, which I feel is kinda immature as well.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Campo. We are supposed to be ambassadors of our sport, not counting coup. Everything we do as hunters effects someones impression of what hunters are. You can take an in-your-face-approach to things but remember: No matter how right we are, and whatever our heritage may be as a tradition -we are outnumbered, and always will be. We need friends in the sport AND out of the sport. We don't need to be adding enemies. One day they could take away our right to hunt, don't think they can't. So shoot your mouth off and you may be taking away the right of your own children to hunt. I see that checkout line conversation as an opportunity to enlighten a woman who has only seen the sport through one perspective. You could have given her another perspective that she would have respected, even if she didn't agree with it or could personalize it. It may have been a seed to germinate in her mind. Shoot, you may have even gotten another spot to hunt out of it. You never know, unless you slam the door.

I've got other, forums that are not hunting related that I frequent and often get questions about hunting from people who've had little or no exposure to hunting. All they know is what they see on TV, movies, or what they see of us in the field and in the checkout lines. Some of these threads would be great to cut and paste to show them why we love our sport so much and some threads would be something I'd be ashamed to show them because it paints such a negative image that even I hate it and I LOVE HUNTING. So be careful what you say and do and try to advance the publics opinion, not pound them on the head with witty retourts.

Quick Reply: Funny Walmart story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.