Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 scent elimination sprays >

scent elimination sprays

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent elimination sprays

Old 11-15-2005, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default scent elimination sprays

Which spray do you prefer?

I personally prefer X-scent, but there's tons of these sprays out there. I like X-scent because it is one of the latest and greatest and it is made after testing all the other brands of scent elimination sprays.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:23 AM

Default RE: scent elimination sprays

home made scent eliminator....1 Gal. for $10....can't be beat!
Old 11-15-2005, 07:33 AM

ORIGINAL: PSEBO

home made scent eliminator....1 Gal. for $10....can't be beat!
So what's the recipe?
Old 11-15-2005, 07:38 AM

PTR, here is the link to my post on this subject....it's no bull this stuff is the S#!T!

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1208761&mpage=1&key=&#120876 1

Old 11-15-2005, 08:07 AM

Have you done any tests of X-Scent on your own? The reason I asked is that I did some very unscientific tests of my own with X-Scent and Dead Down Wind (DDW). Like you, I liked what I read about both of them, being 'new generation' stuff,X Scentusing emulsified silver, and DDW using enzymes.

I was very intrigued with DDW because of the enzymes. Last winter the flue of my wood stove came out while I was at work, sending smoldering smoke throughout the house. We bought some Orec (the vacuum people) enzyme odor killer and it worked miracles.

Anyway, I used my under arms as a test subject and let them get rather smelly one warm afternoon in September. I then liberally sprayed one with X Scent and one with DDW. Both pits still smelled after five minutes, but the DDW seemed to have at least made a small dent in the odor. I smelled no difference in the X-Scent spray. I also sprayed the T-shirt I was wearing, and had the same results- no real difference in odor.

The next day I did a pre-spray of my pits, right after taking a shower, using the green scentless soap, and worked around the house. My pits still got smelly afterjust a couple ofhours of yard work.

Grant it, we normally don't exert ourselves as much while hunting, but the scent elimination sprays, at least these two, still seemed to do very little to cover up existing odors, and very little to prevent odors from occuring.

I urge you to do the same test. It's not a lab test, it's a real life test under 'field' like conditions. As for me, I'm putting more of my time and money in ways of playing and beating the wind, by buying/building more stands to account for different wind conditions, and buying the bottled powder to indicate wind direction for me. I have also started using vanilla as a cover scent. Don't know if it helps, but it apparently didn't hurt.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Has anyone had success with White Lightening?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's on the stump... Vanishing Hunter... Buck Fever Synthetics .. I shot this buck back in 03, he was nestled up in his bedding area August 30th...the temperatures were right at 90+ degrees before last light after the thermals had been blowing at him through me for about 3 hours..he came into my set up, heading towards his evening feeding area...... Vanishing hunter is the only scent spray that I know of....that I can safely spray in my mouth along with all over my body.

Xscent clothing... Not spray ( i havent tried it).. works great on my feet..my X scent socks this year literally did not smell, and I often hike a mile into my stands...! I like the clothing..

Old 11-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been thinking about this some lately. If I had the resources I'd love to make a test of scent elimination in general. If I knew someone with a tracking dog (police, rescue, or some other sort of certified tracking dog) set up a test where you wash some scent eliminating clothes through two cycles with two different brands of scent free detergent and then dry with a scent eliminating dryer sheet and then put in unused plasic containers that have been wiped with scent eliminator towlettes and sealed. (Using rubber gloves at all times) Then go to the test site. A bare field with no high vegetation to hold scent. Shower on-site with scent elimination soap and put on clothes and new knee high rubber boots, also wiped with scent elimination towlettes and then walking past several markers placed in the field by someone else who followed a different path. Then give the dog a smell of your scent from some ordinary article of clothing and walk him perpendicular to your trail. It would be interesting to see if he could still track you. If not at what point of eliminating each procedure would he be able to smell you. Would make an informative video.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:36 PM

I really like scent shields fall blend. I take do the shower, wash clothes, and store properly thing but I really think that Fall Blend is great stuff. Using it this year I had multiple deer who smelled something, but not enough to put them on alarm and they returned to their normal business.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey shed what did that buck score? That's one heck of a pig. I'm guessing 170's

Quick Reply: scent elimination sprays

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.