HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   A view from my treestand... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/121115-view-my-treestand.html)

Greg / MO 11-14-2005 07:44 PM

A view from my treestand...

I've seen other pics from members' treestands, and always loved seeing the terrain which they hunt and their setup. Since I've put my tag on a couple does and one buck so far already, I decided to take the camera to my stand yesterday; since it's gonna take a really big, mature doe or a buck that goes into the 140s before I even remove my bow from its holder, I figure Imight get some decentpictures of a few deer from my stand in the meantime.

This first pic is of one of my stands which I've hoped to catch a nice buck cruising around the end of the field in... This is actually a nice little point that juts out into the corn field, creating a nice little "pocket" to the right of the pic. I took a little doe last week that came from there and was sniffing the nose of my decoy you see down below.

Here's a closeup view of the same point. My stand is actually in the tallest birch on the right side of the pic. There's a mass of green leaves going across, and my stand is right above those.

Here's the view looking out from my stand. The decoy is at 22 yards, and quartering to my left -- into the wind, and positioned so that any approaching buck would circle around to come into the front of the deke, thus offering me a broadside or quartering-away shot. The doe I shot was slightly quartering away.

This is the view to my left, and back into the "pocket" I alluded to. This leads back into some thick scrub brush, and about 100 yards past that is a little river, which is about knee deep and 20 yards across. On the other side of that is a Wildlife Refuge which is being managed for waterfowl and is off-limits to any hunting. Any guesses where the deer are coming from? ;)

MOTOWNHONKEY 11-14-2005 07:59 PM

RE: A view from my treestand...

Nice pictures and for all of those guy's asking how to or what is an funnel the first pic shows one big time. That inside corner on to the right of that first pic would be a great spot to from the looks of the picture.

A.D.D. BOY 11-14-2005 08:33 PM

cool pics

flyinfeathers 11-14-2005 08:41 PM

ditto Motownhonkey

fatsbucknut 11-14-2005 08:42 PM

Thats a beautiful spot..

rack tracker 11-14-2005 08:46 PM

Really looks like a sweet spot! Thanks for sharing

hardyz13 11-14-2005 09:53 PM

this is probally a stupid question but how high is a stand supposed to be or how far up is your.

by the way it looks like you got a nice place there. and nice pics

Greg / MO 11-14-2005 10:15 PM

hardyz13,

Nope, not a stupid question at all... That's what this forum exists for: for us to share, laugh together, and -- above all -- learn together. That was actually one of my intentions by posting this thread: to give some "rookies" some ideas for stand placement.

My stand height is dependent upon prevailing situations, like cover, surrounding land slope(s), and other factors. I typically like to be about 22-25 feet up, although my biggest buck (the one in my signature pic, which scored 162 and 1/8) came from a stand that was only about 15 feet up. But that tree was a gnarly little twisted thing with vines covering it, and I was nearly invisible in that thing. I do feel I get away with a bit more movement (both in drawing a bow and jerking my head around to look at every noise around me :D) when I'm a bit higher. I also think my scent tends to drift away out of the area better at that height...

The stand you're "looking" out of in this pic with me is about 23 feet up. It may look higher than that due to the optics on the camera; I know the decoy sure looks a lot farther away than the 22 yards it actually is.

moosehunter21 11-14-2005 10:28 PM

That is a cool place you got there!

BOWFANATIC 11-14-2005 10:40 PM

Nice pics! From what I can tell by the pics , Missouri looks very similar to Wisconsins farm country.