Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Opinion Wanted on Scent Wicks >

Opinion Wanted on Scent Wicks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opinion Wanted on Scent Wicks

Old 11-14-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Opinion Wanted on Scent Wicks

I have several different kinds, and I've used cotton balls as well. What I'm interested in, is opinions on the reuse of these things. Do you keep hanging the same wicks, and just refreshing with more "juice" of choice? I've been keeping mine in an airtight box, and I just pull 'em out and rejuice them. Tonite I started thinking (noooo action tonite, can you tell?) that perhaps this process can change the scent considerably, having unwanted results. What'chall do?

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Opinion Wanted on Scent Wicks

Hey stoneman, I don't use scents to much but I know bacteria can change the freshness. I would use new fresh wicks about ever other week just to keep it right. If you hunt tight funnels you dont have to use scents, just play the wind. I use to spend a ton on scents and all kinds of stuff, but the more years I bow hunted the more I learned how to put them in front of me. If I were to reccomend a scent situation it would be a drag all the way to your stand. good luck
Old 11-14-2005, 07:42 PM

I hear ya. I hunt a private farm, and occaisionally someone else will show up to bowhunt (I have no control over access). When they start "stomping" around where I keep my stands, I have to relocate in a hurry...that's when I primarily start "spraying the stink". Good point on the bacteria...I think I'll throw them in with my next load of laundry (hunting clothes) to be safe. Yean, you can say I'm too cheap to buy more, but I'll blame it on the wife and five kids.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:50 PM

yeah, i woudlnt reuse your wicks. i like the wildlife research ones, scent key wicks maybe? you can easily dip them right into the bottle of scent. i just have them in a zip loc bag. i had a 2 1/2 year old buck not bust me because of using special golden estrous, which confused him greatly, having human scent and estrous scent blowing into his nose. i think scent used right can turn the tide in your favor in certain circumstances.

slayer