Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NY rut

Old 11-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default NY rut

My son and I huntedSaturday and Sunday and saw nothing (I saw 2 bucks the 2 previous weeks).
NY hunters, let me know if you think the rut is in full swing yet.
I talked to a local guy who says it's heating up.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:57 AM

Default RE: NY rut

It absolutely is, where are you hunting in ny?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:07 AM

I am a rookie but i was in hancock new york huntinig this weekend and a hunting shop owner said it is not a full rut yet, but it is heating up so maybe that is what everyone says but i did not see one buck and saw 9 does so i do not think it is a full rut yet.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know, we saw a lot of action toward the end of October. But since then, have not seen much at all. High temperatures and wind conditions lately could have turned them nocturnal. Seen a lot of dead one's in the road the past few weeks also. I have a feeling that they have been rutting now for a little while, but have turned nocturnal. My buddy just called in though and saw two bucks this morning. Too bad we lost this coming weekend to the gun hunters. Oh well, I'm going out tomorrow, I'll let you know what I saw.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:29 AM

Alot of times in ny durring full rut the big bucks goe nocturnal...
Old 11-14-2005, 11:36 AM

[&:]I went out this morning.TOO warm to start with.Thenat just first light,in comes the wind,,ALOT ofwind [:@].The deer don't move in on this bedding area when it's windy.I have the worst luck.I'm on va ca this week,and I'll have no time to go out after this week.Gotta git er doneone of these mornings.I did'nt see one rub in the area.
I felt real good about that,too []
Old 11-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

The rut is going on. Whether its peak or not is more of a localized question. I'm fully convinced my area is at peak rut. I can't even mention the amount of activity I see on the drive to and from the woods. I saw a big bodied 8 point at the side of a road yesterday morning, so I stopped and rolled down the window to look at him. He could have turned around and stuck his head into the truck window. He was sniffing a frequent doe trail, and had no care I was there at all.

Sadly, I moved on to my hunting grounds, only to see nothing. High temp and winds make for a hell of a nocturnal rut. The cold weather is supposed to come in this week across NY, and it'll be the best bow-hunting timeof the season.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

oh it's in full swing. alot of people on this chat will tell u that. went out today t windy,moon was bright and the sky was clear. i'm a school boy (hunting 3 years now) and i hate hunting mornings when its a bright moon and clear skys. i like it over cast a little wind and around the time of the new moon. it has been awfull warm this month. it will be interesting to see what opening day of gun season does. i'm going to sit in a thicket and hope the rest of the world gets these furballs moving. good luck all

THE FOOT
Old 11-15-2005, 02:41 AM

[]Man, my vaca is getting worse by the minute.They call for rain by a 7 am.,on through the day.Then HIGH winds into Wensday,with more RAIN.
Thursday looks to be good,,but also looks like it will be my last hunting day for awhile.CAN-AM hockey in Lake Placid will take up the rest of my vacation,,not to mentiongun season starts on Sat. thisyear [:'(].
I only hunt with a bow,so I never like seeing that season come,,oh well.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Probably one of the worst bowseasons I can remember as far as weather is concerned. I can't ever remember this much heat and wind. We should have frozen nostril hairs and scraping windshield weather by now. I have logged a lot of hours on stand and have seen about zippo rut activity. I think the critters have gone nocturnal too.
Is it possible to go MORE nocturnal than nocturnal? Because that's where they are heading after Saturdays fiasco starts.[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.