Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrows "Wobbling" in flight >

Arrows "Wobbling" in flight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrows "Wobbling" in flight

Old 11-14-2005, 09:35 AM

Default RE: Arrows "Wobbling" in flight

Spray your rest with some foot powder. Shoot an arrow and see if any of the powder has been wiped off from the arrow. If it has, you have a contact problem. The arrows may be stabilizing after leaving the bow but a tuned bow won't have any unwanted contact at all. The only contact you want with a drop away rest is the shaft during the draw.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I appreciate the replies, guys.....and this was NOT intended to be a WB bash session....NOT AT ALL. I went to the archery shop to tell my story, Friday.....and I tried the other bow I have there (On consignment). It's just as noisy (WB, also). I LOVE their ease of use....but my drop-away (no need to name the mfg) is 100% stealth. I STILL wish I could have stayed with the WB....but I'm getting CLOSE to the deer.

I'm happy you guys like yours....and I wish mine had worked out. I mean that.

I was just seeking information on what may be causing my arrows to "wobble". Interesting thought about the arrow weight. I "heard somewhere" that the rule of thumb was lbs draw x 5 = arrow weight. Is this a good rule of thumb? if so....I should be right-on.

Jeff

Jeff
Old 11-14-2005, 10:47 AM

hmmm that sounds about right..... I've just seen this happen before when I switched from shooting aluminum arrows to carbons.... I was shooting easton fall stalker 2219 aluminum arrows and switched to carbon express... can't remember size right off the bat but they flexed a little on release so I let off the weight a little and its perfect now... I shoot from a regular stalk rest instead of one of those drop aways (in other words the plastic ones with the sticky strips).
Old 11-14-2005, 11:42 AM

SB,

You said you had a 300 grain arrow with a 100 grain tip. To me that means a total weight of 400 grains. Is that correct? If so, you are way safe on arrow weight in comparision to draw weight. If it means a total weight of 300, which I can't see you getting, then you are still OK. Like I said earlier, check for arrow contact. The arrow may be hitting the rest and kicking a little. The vanes are probably correcting the arrow flight quickly which is why you have decent accuracy. Also, you said your setup is accurate out to 40 yards. Is that with broadheads? Have you shot your broadheads? They will exagerate any bad setup you have. Sorry but I had to ask.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey don't be sorry...I love the conversation. I appreciate it.

No. I haven't shot broadheads with the new rest. I figured I'd get the field points dialed in, first. With the WB....They flew the exact same (BH's/FP's). I might try a few BH's tonight....when we establish what's making them "wobble"...and get that corrected. I just had this rest installed, Saturday......and I can't believe how fast it was in setting my 20/30/40 yd pins.

True story....and I don't know if this is atypical.....but we moved the sight around to set my 20 yd pin......and it just so happens that the 30 and 40 were perfect....right where they were out of the box. I just thought that was unusual....but then again it's the first bow I've ever owned.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2005, 12:26 PM

You MUST shoot your broadheads first, expecially if they are a fixed blade design. If not, you really won't have any idea where they are hitting. You may have a lot of tuning to do to get them flying correctly. I don't mean to preach but you really need to know your equipment in order to be able to judge what you are capable of doing with it. Once you get your rest dialed in, I'm sure you will be very happy with it. I did like my WB for the full containment but switched to a drop away a few years ago.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

G2:

Why must I sight in the broadheads, FIRST? With the WB....I sighted in the field points.....and then was ready to make adjustments for the BH's. It turns out I didn't have any adjustments to make. I'm hoping for similar results with the drop-away. Am I missing something?

Jeff

Also....I would NEVER go into the field unprepared. I EXTENSIVELY practice.....and I know my capabilities....and my limitations. Did I say something that led you to believe I didn't?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:57 PM

I'm sorry. I meant that you must shoot broadheads first before you go hunting. I meet a lot of people that never shoot their broadheads until they are aiming at an animal.

I usually practice with my broadheads at least once a week if not twice during hunting season. It really shows weaknesses in your setup and form that a field point won't show you.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Dominant Buck

G2:

I agree w/ you. I live 2 miles from my archery shop....where we have 30+ 3D targets to practice with (We have an annual range plan that my son and I utilize). We can shoot broadheads up to 36 yds in the square target area in the rear of the bldg, too. We also have a 24"x24" that we can set to unlimited yardages at the house (I was shooting from 30 & 40 yds, yesterday).

We practice extensively with the field points......and theBH's flew just like the field points through the WB. I'm hoping they do with the new rest.....but I won't be going into the field until I know my gear is true.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

i had the same thing i had my hoyt mt sport all the way to 70lbs cause i can,,,, and i tuned it down to about 65 and no more problems! try that!

Quick Reply: Arrows "Wobbling" in flight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.