HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How old is too old? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/120964-how-old-too-old.html)

MDManiac 11-13-2005 09:58 PM

How old is too old?

I have a question for you all....I am 18 years old and have been bowhunting since 2003, or when i was 16. My question pertains to my Father though, he will be 59 in march, and when i asked him about bowhunting, he simply said he was too old to do that, but what do you all think?

He is in pretty good physical condition, a bigger guy going around 260 or so, but he has his share of lower back problems and recently injured his shoulder lifting heavy objects, but i think that's subsided, do you think he is too old? or would it be worth it to try and get him into Bowhunting?

Thanks for you input.

P.S. the other day he stood 60 yards behind me as i arrowed my first bow-deer, and he simply said it was amazing the sound and what not (thud!)...thanks again.

recurver67 11-13-2005 10:05 PM

RE: How old is too old?

My Dad and brother have back troubles.They say sitting or standing for long periods causes alot of pain.My bro still bowhunts but my dad gave it up about 6 years ago.My dad still gun hunts but does alot of still hunting.My dad turned 62 in Sept. ,I don't think there's a age limit just if your physically able.

Paul L Mohr 11-13-2005 10:24 PM

If he doesn't want to do it, he doesn't want to do it. If he has back and shoulder problems I wouldn't risk scewing them up unless he was really passionate about it.

Paul

UPHunter89 11-13-2005 10:28 PM

I agree with recurve. It depends on phisical ability, not age. If god permits, I will be hunting and fishing until I am old and grey.

MDManiac 11-13-2005 10:44 PM

Thanks guys...

Paul, my dad is quite reserved about what he thinks, it's very hard to tell what he's passionate about and what he's not, but i do know that he has accompanied me everytime we've gone this year...except today. Im not going to force it on him, but Id like to suggest it as an alternative means of getting meat (thats whats important to him, meat, not bone). Butstill, thank you for your input, all opinions are welcome!

jdrake19 11-13-2005 11:04 PM

My dad is too dumb to shoot a bow.

Rich Baker 11-14-2005 12:48 AM

Ran into a guy last year sitting off the edge of a elk trail not mor than 500 yards from a road. Stopped to talk to him. He was 83 years old and he was bow hunting. He just sat in a lawn chair with a camo coat on and a blue base ball cap and blue jeans. he was by himself , I told the old timer that I had parked about 1000 yards away in a turn out," He knew where I was talking" I told the old boy if he needed anything to leave a note on the Gmc and we'd give him a hand. Well about 10 hours later we got back to the truck and the old boy had a nice cow elk down and wondered if we could pack it out. We did and helped him load it into his camper. I got his phone number and I had planned on letting him hunt out of our camp this year So we could keep an eye on him. well I talked with him about three weeks before season and he said he would meet us up there. he never showed. got home and called his house and talked to a lady who told me of him passing on to the big hunt in the sky. Thats how I'll be

davidmil 11-14-2005 04:23 AM

YUP, it's an individual thingy. I'm 62 and would hurt more if I weren't able to be 20 feet up with a bow in my hand. I'm sure it'll change someday. I get some aches and pains at times, especially early in the season. I have a touch of arthritis,but, with the use of Motrin etc I can get through it just fine. Heck, I know people that are 10 years younger that act like old men and can hardly walk. It really is an individual thing. I believe a lot of it has to do with how active you were in earlier life. Couch potatoes tend to stiffin up.[&:]

Carroll B 11-14-2005 04:37 AM

I just started bow hunting this year and I'm 59. Last year I tried to pull my son's 70# bow and couldn't, so I bought a 60# one. Tried to work out on a regular basis and now can shoot my bow without any problmes. I hunted for 15 years then stopped. When I stopped my son started to hunt. After a 13 year break I started to hunt with my son again. Didn't realize how much I missed it. Started with only gun then decided I wanted to spend more time with my son so I bought the bow. Sunday I called him to tell him how much I was learning about deer hunting by using a bow, how I enjoyed hunting with him, and that I loved him. One of the best parts of hunting with him is we go home to his house for lunch and I get to see the grandkids. You're never too old to hunt. Just try to get in or stay in shape, and know your limitatuions.

nybowhunter 11-14-2005 04:46 AM

At the campI go to we have a guy that's 72 that still bow hunts. He come down on Thursday and leaves on Sunday every week. He's out before sunrise, comes down at noon for his medication, takes a nap and is back out there till dark. He usesground blinds and gets a deer ALMOST every year!