Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How old is too old? >

How old is too old?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How old is too old?

Old 11-14-2005, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How old is too old?

Hello
I also think it is the individuals call. My dad hunted up until he couldn't anymore, into his seventies. Though bowhunting stopped first and gun hunting became just driving out near his spot and sitting on a stool next to the opened door. Some older people use hunting as a purpose in their life once they retire. I can see myself in that position. Some people with age it becomes to physically demanding or a chore. More like work than enjoyment. Weather also affects you more as you age.
I hunt primarily with a climber and last year at the age of 51 hunting was beginning to be a chore. Then I weighed about 215#.After the first of the year I started excercising and eating better. I currently weigh 185# at my 6' height and run on the treadmill(haven't missed a day since March and currently up to 40minutes a day). I haven't felt this good in the last 10 years. Hunting is once again more enjoyable and isn't the chore it was last year. And my success shows it. I might add that my job is physically demanding and I wouldn't consider myself a couch potato before working out. Who knows in a year or two without exercising bowhunting mayhave been to much chore for me.

My advice would be continue to take your dad along for the company, set up spots for him to observe from which are easy to get to. Include him in as much pre-hunt and post hunt activity as possible. But don't push him.

Happy hunting
Dan
Old 11-14-2005, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

MDManiac, my uncle just turned 80 in October. He still bowhunts and still loves it. He's in great condition for 80 and I think that the hunting is good for him. About the only thing I do for him is when he kills a deer, I drag it out for him. Hope I do as well at 80.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad turns 68 next month and he's still bowhunting, took a six pointer last week on his dad's farmland. He still climbs the trees and hangs his own stands. He prefers sticks/ladders to screw-ins now but still gets about 18' -20' up. He didn't start bowhunting until I did about 12 years ago. When he no longer feels safe climbing stands I'll build him a big shooting house with steps so he can hunt as long as he wants. Try to see if you can get your dad to just practice with you. If you can afford it, buy him a bow and tell him you'd just like some competition during practice. I'd get a bow that has a bit of a pullpoundage and start him out at the low end.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:10 AM

I just started last year at 40 and wished I had started much earlier in life. You're never too old to try new things. The skill of bowhunting wasn't that hard to pick up with a little practice. Get him a bow that fits him without a heavy draw weight. I love the time I spend in the woods with our boys. It's a different kind of bond you develop with each other. Different thanhaving a catch which we have often done as well. Still looking for that first deer together. I know it will come soon.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:55 AM

When your in a box, thats too old.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:02 AM

I know what your going through man.... I'm 19 going on 20 and my dad is 54 and he is having some problems with his shoulders. He shoots a 65# @ 28 inch recurve which with his 31 inch draw means he is drawing about 72 pounds and he just can't do it anymore. If you really want your father to hunt try getting him a light weight compound with the legal amount of let off and see what happens.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess it depends on the extent of his injury and the state. In some states his injury might be considered disability and allow him to use a crossbow. If so try that. After his first time out, he'll be hooked.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'mstill on the sunshine side of 54buthave arthritis, a horribly bad back, bum shoulders and ruined knees. Can't get out and hunt like I used to, but I still go when I'm having one of my 'good days.' Since holding up 5 pounds ofcompound hurts my shoulders worse than tugging on a string, I shoot recurves and longbows that only weigh 14 ounces to 2 pounds. Although, I have dropped way down in draw weight, to where I'm shooting around 45-50 pounds on my hunting bows and 40 with my favorite 3D recurve.

Still-hunting and stalking was always my bread and butter, but I do a lot more sitting on a stool in a ground blind now. Never have liked treestands anywayand now I couldn't get up in one at all, even if I wanted to. I would definitely need help dragging out a deer or hog these days. Fortunately, I like bowhunting upland and small game. A bag of quail, squirrels and rabbitsis a heckuva lot easier to pack out thanelk quarters, ya know.

There are ways to adapt your equipment and hunting styleto your physical ability. I've often thought about hanging it up, myself, but I still enjoy hanging out with the gang, shooting archery and bowhunting too much to quit.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the responses guys!!!

I'll have a little chat with him and see what he thinks about tryin bowhunting, thanks for all the ideas and opinions though!
Old 11-14-2005, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

never too old! I will bow hunt as long as I can still lift my bowtech! these new bows can shoot very light poundage at pretty high speeds and there is always the option of the crossbow