Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whoo hoo for number 2!! >

whoo hoo for number 2!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whoo hoo for number 2!!

Old 11-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default whoo hoo for number 2!!

Well....my hunt started last night, i was getting ready for this morning when i get a call from my folks, my mom just rolled her explorer (one bruise and a hurt ego), so we had to deal with that and didnt end up going out this morning due to the stress....it was fun to say the least...[:'(]

I must say that this is the last weekend for Bowhunting before shotgun seasonstarts in NY's southern tier. I wanted to go out really bad, especially with the approaching rut..(usually starts a tad but later down where i hunt).

Around 10am i decide im going to go sit untill 2ish figuring with the full moon the night before that the deer would be moving around midday to feed some. Forty-Five minutes later I arrive at my hunting location. The landowner is there with his family working on thier house and i tell him where im going to hunt, and he say's its all good.

The landowner really wants to lower the deer population due to the amount of deer (it wasnt uncommon to see 20-25 deer moving at once a few years ago) and with our group being meat hunters, it was nota problem.

I reachedmy stand at about 11:30 tofind the 23mphSE wind a pleasure in the balmy 55ยบ.The stand im hunting is notorious for rutted-up bucks as it's located in the corner of the property that borders a deep and thick swamp as well as a thick swail field, im located in hardwoods along the transition zone.Last weekend I took my first deer with my bow, a 70lb button buck, at around 9am.

Im in my stand, kindahangin out in the windand decide to stand up for a while, Putting the bucket on it's post I turn around, face thewind and set my bow on thewood backrest we have.Around 12:25 3 deer come in from the East and feed towards my location along the creekI begin to scour forBone's, but to no avail. Turns out it was a big doe, a decent size female fawn and a smaller button buck.

...20 minutes later, the doe isjust over35 yards, with the button even closer, i draw on her, but she stops moving and i have no shot, not to mention i am not comfortable with the long distance. im forced to let down, but she is checking it out, looking around, using her 5 senses to her advantage as the wind takes care of the ears for me, butI am not concealed at all, but rathermy only shot is when i amstuckbetween two tree's, approx 3 feet wide, nestled12 feet up, and there's nothing between the deer and i except a few hardwoods and some puddles.....I love ASAT.

The doe makes the extra bound over the downed tree to come into range, she begins feeding on some acorns and i draw, settling 3/4 the way up, as i only have a 20 yard pin and this is about a 30 yard shot (previous expiereince practicing tells me my bow shoots approx. 6" low at 30 yards...), and hit the trigger. I watch as the arrow slices through the wind, and eventually the deer, just a tad low, but looks like a good hit. she runs 20-25 yards and stops, looking around, inspecting what happened. She begins to stumble and i know she's done for now! The fawns stick around for a while, curious as to what happened to mom, but the deed has been done, usually i wouldn't take a doe with fawns, but they were mighty big, and there were two of them, so they'll be fine.

I shot at 12:45 and gave her till 1:30, after kicking the fawns out by making some abnoxious noises, i back out and take a walk to the truck to put my gear away and have a chat with the landowner. I come back around 2, to find her expired, and to be in the 100-110lb range, a nice second deer with my bow!!!

Turns out i shot her about 20 yards left of my first deer, same distance and they expired about 20 yards apart, kind of wierd, but i caught her lower lungs and some artery's, the arrowhitbelow the shoulder and caught the other leg and then popped out, kinda low but it did the trick, i think i might have to add a 30 yard pin now.

I dont have any pics because i was alone, and didnt have a camera, but im pretty excited as this is my first deer i've ever harvested by myself, (without hunting with anyone on the property) and im very pleased with her size! I will take some tomorrow and post em, but Im pumped!

Sorry the story is so long, it was a pleasing end to an odd weekend...might go out one more time friday, but will be shotgun hunting sat, sun, wed-sun of next week....it's going to be a good time! thanks for reading

I must say, that after starting in 2003, and waiting this long, that i am officially hooked, I love it!!
Old 11-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: whoo hoo for number 2!!

Very nice job and great story also.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:38 PM

Great, descriptive story. Congrats!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:43 AM

Great story! Good job.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Loved the story...Glad your Mom is okay....

You may feel you started slow (2003) but Hip Hip Hooray, you're on your way!!! (sorry after reading the thread title, which I liked,I just couldn't resist )!!

Congratulations, keep up the good work!
Old 11-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the kind words guys, i finally got the pic (had to take it today, got home after dark last night, so here she is...sorry for the blood from where i dressed her...

Old 11-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice, way to go.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job!! Gotta love NY.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:37 PM

Sux about no pics... But good deal...