Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 1st bow buck down..pics >

1st bow buck down..pics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1st bow buck down..pics

Old 11-13-2005, 08:10 PM

Default 1st bow buck down..pics

After 3 long years of passing little bucks, i've finally harvested the fruits of my labors. He's a 130" 9 point that probably won't net P&Y because of deductions, but im still proud. I have a few pictures of him from my Cuddeback and my goal this year was to take this buck. he's a bit busted up, missing an inch or two on one beam and several inches on the other, but thats ok.

Saturday morning, i got up at 445 AM, checked the wind, and went back to bed as i knew if i got over to my spot right away, the wind would be all wrong and i'd spook the does returning from the fields. i got there about 7 AM and where i parked the truck, there were does near it and they blew for a while as i walked up the hill road to my stand. I'm sitting on a ridge witha logging road 20 yards to my left, and a hillside on my right. im on the flat just before it starts tapering off. theres also several good signpost rubs within site, a rub line that runs perpendicular to the road, and a big wallow where the bucks drink when they're chasing. i put out a scent wick with Wildlife Research Special Golden Estrous on it on the logging road to stop any bucks coming in on the road, and i poured some on a small tree that was down over the trail to stop any bucks in bow range on that road.

right off the bat, i rattled. after a half hour, i kinda dozed off, still awake but not paying attention when i turned around only to have an 8 pointer trying to get my wind. he was directly downwind of me. he was about to spook and then smelled the estrous, and couldnt decide whether i was friend or foe. he sorta mosyed off into the brush in front of me, not really sure what his nose was smelling. i rattled again, and after 2 minutes, i heard noise on the slope below me. 60 yards down was a deer with its tail up. he was directly downwind of me walking parallel to the stand. i took a look at the rack and immediately recognized the 9 pointer i had my sights on all season. knowing he woudlnt come into range, i grabbed my true talker and grunted at him. he didnt stop. after a few more grunts, i knew he wouldnt stop. at 80 yards and walking away from me, i pulled out all the stops and snort wheezed with my mouth.

1st time, no effect. 2nd time, no effect. third time, he stopped and looked up in my direction. i was surprised to see him still walk straight ahead. i was really disappointed now and was praying like hell he came back through. 2 minutes later, there he was! he came in hair up, chin tucked in, stiff legged gait, occasionally pawing in the leaves for an acorn. as soon as he got behind a tree, i came to full draw. he stepped out quartering slightly towards at 17.5 yards and i took the shot. i saw my arrow go into his shoulder, fletching deep, and he ran. i was shaking so bad i didnt think i could hold the pin steady enough. i quickly called my dad to come down to where i was at(half hour drive from my house) to help me recover him. i went over to the spot, and found good blood, but i just left my pack and harness tehre and walked back to the truck. after 45 minutes, we took up the trail. we found where the arrow splintered off at about the fletching, and then found the other 3/4 of the arrow, covered in bubbly blood. i looked up from the trail to see him laying dead. he went maybe 70 yards.

an autopsy performed at the kill site showed the buck died from massive internal bleeding due to an 85 grain Slick Trick through his heart and left lung, with lacerations to the liver also causing bleeding. I grossed him at 130" as a 9 point. i was disappointed to see he was all broken up, but nonetheless, im proud i got him and accomplishing that goal was huge for me. now i get to pick up the rifle this weekend and go back down(even though i've already taken 2 130" bucks from that place) to hunt some more. iowa shotgun is coming up too. i thought this hunt really illustrated why you have to stay put during the rut and sit out that mid morning lull.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:18 PM

Default RE: 1st bow buck down..pics

Congrats on the kill!! Great story, can't wait to see the pics.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:20 PM

sorry, working on getting the pics up..
Old 11-13-2005, 08:55 PM

i wish i could get a clearer pic up. maybe tommorrow ill get a better one up.

Old 11-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story.

Congratulations, it isn't very often a guy can set his sights on one particular buck and take him out. I tip my hat to you Deerslayer 37.

Old 11-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 11-13-2005, 09:02 PM

smacked him right in the heart. 85 grain slick trick did a tremendous amount of damage. i dont think i could have gotten the same penatration with mechanicals, i went right through the shoulder. perfect shot, coulndt have made a better shot with a rifle.

Old 11-13-2005, 09:13 PM

Congrats.Great buck and story,you had my knees nocking.I know it's not very easy to single out a buck and harvest him.Congrats again on a well deserved trophy.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slayer,

Awesome bud! Man we've been visiting for years now, I know how bad you wanted to get the bow harvest, and to do it in the fashion you did. I am really happy for you bud! Good luck the rest of the season! That is a gorgeous whitetail and even finer shot!

Troy
Old 11-13-2005, 11:14 PM

Sweetness! Nice story, awesome deer!!!

Quick Reply: 1st bow buck down..pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.