Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Blood trailing "AFTER DARK"...... >

Blood trailing "AFTER DARK"......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blood trailing "AFTER DARK"......

Old 10-09-2002, 03:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-09-2002, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blood trailing "AFTER DARK"......

The best thing I have ever used is Budweiser(my chocolate lab).

Protect your hunting rights, "Spay or neuter a liberal."
Old 10-09-2002, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blood glows under blacklight also I wish someone would come out with a small blacklight us hunters could use or just a bulb that would fit our flashlights . Maybe one of our members thats in law enfourcement could clue us in .

If information provided by the members of this board have helped you please let us know .
Old 10-09-2002, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

I have tried the Starlight Bloodhound. I will NEVER waste the money on it again. It lights up everything it hits. I sprayed the arrow I had just hit a buck with and the thing glowed like a glo-stick. I was pumped. I went to the woods to where I Had hit the deer and sprayed the gound. Hey look at that, must be a lot of blood here! Turn on my flashlight, check it out, no blood. I proceeded to spray it around me in a circle and the bloodhound lit up EVERYTHING it touched. It is 100% worthless.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:59 AM

Last year my nephew hit a good size buck. We lost the trail so we went to Spencers (a novelity item shop) and purchased a hand held black light. It didnt work at all. I thought the McGeiver approach would work but it didn't. All it did was make me spend $20.

I haven't tried the Hydrogen Peroxide approach. Does it really make it glow and bubble? I would think that the bubbles form from the oxygen touching an open flesh wound not the blood itself. I'll have to try it - sounds interesting.

Oh - by the way, we found the deer (finally) after using 6 guys and a roll of toilet paper to mark the trail. By time we found it, the woods looked like halloween at a college campus - toilet paper everywhere.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Florescent/black lights make blood glow in the dark. Forensic scientists use it determine if blood has been washed off of clothing or such. There's also a liquid that you can spray and if blood has been washed away it'll show up. Black lights shoulnd't be too hard to get a hold of. Do a search on the net and someone is bound to have a battery operated one, or a bulb that'll fit a flashlight someplace.

God bless,
Brandan

Old 10-09-2002, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly how many bottles of peroxide or bloodhound or whatever... would you need to follow a long blood trail? You could probably buy a good dog for the same price.

I'm with bowfanatic on this one.

Old 10-09-2002, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a wheat light (coon light) as long as i have blood to follow and if i lose the blood then i have two Jack Russell Terriers that help me out.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:48 PM

Unless you add a fluorescing agent to blood, or the blood contains some natural fluorescing substance, a blacklight will not cause blood to glow. What you usually see is a darker color, usually a purple color. This would not be of much help when trying to find blood on top of other material that may also appear darker under a blacklight. However, if you want to try, here is some info.

Blacklights having high illumination are very expensive (hundreds/thousands of $).

The small (6"-7&quot lights will have you crawling on the ground with your eyes and light almost on the ground. They are useless for the purpose you are wanting it for. An affordable blacklight that will give you some fairly decent illumination and not require you crawl on the ground with it, would be this one:

http://0-0-0checkmate.com/Hot/Large_...lacklight.html

Make a lightweight rig that resembles a hockey stick, but having a flat lower section to mount the light. Now you can sweep the area while walking upright. Using the hockey stick configuration rig allows you to see on both sides of the light as you sweep.

Make sure you purchase a replacement bulb.

If you do not want to use a blacklight, use a light that casts a bright “white” light, such as a Coleman lantern or a 6-volt wide lens light with a Halogen/Krypton bulb. Wet blood will shine under a very bright light. Too many hunters use standard flashlights and they (flashlights) actually impede detecting a blood spot. The light is too yellow.

Make sure you look back as you follow the blood trail. It is very common to see blood when looking back that you cannot see when following the blood trail. Look high and look to the sides. Blood is not always found directly on the path the deer has taken, and not always on the ground.

For fluorescing blood with or without a blacklight, in fact complete darkness is usually best, search for premixed “Luminol” spray. It will cause blood to glow “blue” or “white-green” in darkness. If you use Luminol, do not overspray and only use when you no longer can find anymore blood. If using Luminol, I would start where the last blood was found and spot-spray to find direction of travel, and then look for other signs e.g., prints, leaves, et, to follow until use of Luminol is again absolutely necessary.

Hydrogen peroxide will not illuminate blood. It will cause blood to foam, but it will also cause many other materials on the ground to foam. It would be useless for finding/following a blood trail.

Lights and fluorescing compounds might be useful as a backup, however, knowing how to read post-hit signs and exit trail is principal. Blood drops (shape) are telltale as to what location on the body the blood is flowing and dropping from, the direction of travel, standing, etc.

Too many hunters look for blood only. The deer is leaving numerous other signs that can lead you to it even though the blood has long disappeared. There are also other escape and invasion actions a deer will naturally react to.

Deer are superb swimmers. Better than most hunters realize. A wounded and frightened deer will often take to water to escape. Also, when a deer is severely wounded, its system immediately begins to react to a rise in fever. Nature has programmed the deer to instantly go to water when this occurs; even though the deer would prefer to go elsewhere. I have recovered deer lying beside water, and in the water with only its head above water and lying on the bank. If you know you severely wounded a deer, lethal or not, check all the water locations.

Also, when a deer realizes it cannot run much further, it is not uncommon for a deer to leap a distance from the path of its escape and take harbor in brush and let you walk by. Sometimes that hiding spot is where they die.

Most of all, know the area you hunt in and where the deer usually range and bed. A wounded deer is not going to leave the country for parts unknown.

Thundergut

If the product you were using contains the compounds that is used in “Luminol,” you may have been seeing blood all over the area. When a human or animal is bleeding, especially if blood is in the airway and is being blown into the air, it is common that a large amount of microscopic droplets of blood will be cast everywhere. You cannot see the microscopic droplets without such aids.

Edited by - c903 on 10/09/2002 18:51:35
Old 10-09-2002, 01:12 PM

c903, 1)where do you find this product "Luminol" and how is it packaged? 2)Do you know if this is the same chemical used in the comercial product "starlight bloodhound" that thundergut was refering too?...Thanks ahead..Fletch

Good Luck All....Fletch

Quick Reply: Blood trailing "AFTER DARK"......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.