Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scored on my first birthday deer. >

Scored on my first birthday deer.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scored on my first birthday deer.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Scored on my first birthday deer.

Well today I filled my buck tag with only two days left in the season. I should mention that today is my 39th birthday and I’ve always wanted to take a buck on this day. Many years ago when archery season was extended into the first two weeks of November, my dream actually had a chance to come true. All these years later I’ve either tagged out prior to this day or, never had a chance at a buck I wanted to take. Today things are different. My good friend Kurt(Q2inwhitetails) came in to hunt with me so first light found us in two of my favorite treestanads. I put Kurt into the stand I thought would produce and I headed into my other favorite stand, one I hadn’t hunted this year at all. After first light and seeing nothing but a button buck walk the field, I decided to get down and join Kurt in his tree. I had previously hung a second stand in that tree to do some videoing from. I sneaked over and climbed up and he informed me he had several bucks in close but with the wind he wanted them just a touch closer. Very admirable to say the least so we settled in and hung on as the wind shook the tree. Around 10:30 we decided to get down as all movement ceased. We headed home for a bite to eat and to grab the ground blind as we knew where several turkeys were hanging from previously scouting them and patterning them. Around 2:00 we were set up and waiting on the first birds to show. The woods seemed quiet except for the whipping winds throwing leaves about. Nothing showed for quite some time despite the patterned birds. As the evening grew on, Kurt spotted 3 birds making their way across the ridge above us. They were 3 longbeards and despite some sweet calling, they were heading for their roosting site. It wasn’t long until Kurt spotted a buck moving across the ridge following the birds. It was a small 3 point and we lost him in the foliage above us. Suddenly we saw a deer run back through the direction the small buck had come and noticed a doe moving down the ridge followed by a larger buck. It was obvious why the smaller buck was spooked off. The doe came down the ridge towards us and we figured the doe would drag the buck along and we might have a shot. So, instead of calling birds, I grabbed the Deer Flute and started talking to the doe and buck. It wasn’t long before we had the doe standing just above us at 25 yards stomping trying to figure out what this blind was. She moved tighter when a second doe, which we hadn’t seen followed her in. We knew the buck was near though we couldn’t see him. The 2 doe now stood at 19 yards, nervous, watching us, watching behind them. Suddenly the buck moved forward behind the doe, which spooked them off and allowed me to draw my bow. The buck was facing us so I had to hold the bow at full draw while he sized up the location. It seemed like forever and I was just about to let the bow down when he turned and offered me a slight broadside shot and I sent the Snyper tipped Easton ACC through the buck’s vitals. Kurt let out a breath of relieve claiming perfect heart shot. We were celebrating and I was quizzing him on the arrow placement when we heard the buck crash and both exclaimed, he’s down….Kurt said, right there I think I see him…Sure enough, we climbed out of the blind and started to sneak up the hill only to see him expired not 50 yards from the shot. This is my first buck from the ground and from a ground blind (pop up). Although this is not my biggest buck, I exclaimed I’ll take him if he offers me a shot, 1 because it’s my birthday and I’ve always wanted to take a buck on my birthday and 2, because of his character. He’s a 2.5 year old, he had a punture wound between hisears from fighting, both his ears were torn and had hair missing between his ears surrounding the punture,and I haven’t measured it yet, but his spike is at least 12” long and if ya’ll remember last years buck….he is kind of a mirror image. I’ll post pictures of each….I had to laugh, what a great day, a great birthday and a great time shared with a good friend.

[/align]

[/align]This years buck

[/align]

[/align]Last years buck

[/align]

[/align]
Old 11-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scored on my first birthday deer.

Rob

Happy birthday and congrats on a great hunt and great whitetail! How cool, off the ground and to have a good buddy there with you! great Job and congrats again!

Troy
Old 11-10-2005, 09:10 PM

Happy Birthday, and what a present. Seems to be you took a buck from the same gene pool each year. congrats
Old 11-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story. Nice buck. Think they're related? You need to keep culling til those bad boys are culled outta the herd.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Happy birthday, and congrats on the buck. 2 freaky ones in a row for you. THat's wild.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Happy bday and congrats....whats up witht he one horns in ur spot??/
Old 11-10-2005, 09:47 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the buck and Happy Birthday!!

Tim
Old 11-10-2005, 09:49 PM

Happy Birthday man, and congrats on the buck!
Old 11-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Happy Birthday Rob and congrats on the father son bucks
Old 11-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Happy Birthday and congrats on a nice buck! That sure was an eventful day shared with a good friend.......great story.

Quick Reply: Scored on my first birthday deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.