Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
OLD WIVES TALES...Let's Here 'em! >

OLD WIVES TALES...Let's Here 'em!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OLD WIVES TALES...Let's Here 'em!

Old 10-09-2002, 03:50 PM

Default RE: OLD WIVES TALES...Let's Here 'em!

Smitty 1,
That was cyclone that made that statement. I was just quoting him, I am interested in any other comments on the subject though. First time I have heard that...Fletch

Good Luck All....Fletch
Old 10-09-2002, 03:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-09-2002, 03:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-09-2002, 04:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-09-2002, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
How bout this one...
I've know a guy who stops eating meat when preparing for a hunt. He claims the reason deer smell us so strongly is because of their natural fear of &quot;meateaters&quot;. Claims deer can smell if you've been eating meat....WOW...What next...

Good Luck All....Fletch
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Thats a very popular belief among the native americans around here. The Chippewas wouldn't eat meat for three days before going on a whitetail hunt. I've heard of other tribes across the country who did the same. The Chippewa hunters would also cover their entire body with mud from head to toe. I guess scent elimination has been practiced alot longer than we think.

&quot;Nocked,cocked & ready to rock&quot;
Old 10-09-2002, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

In reply to Eye Contact:

Go into a local shopping center and sit down. Pick out a person and stare at that person in the eye. Then see how long it talkes that person to look at you. If your honest a minute or less would not be uncommon.

If you apply this to wildlife you should also consider that the wildlife we hunt are far more sensitive in every area than are we.

Every animal that I ever made direct eye contact with . . . has jumped my string and unfortunately in 39 years of hunting there have been a few.

In the last five years every deer that shot at that I didn't make eye contact with did not jump my string. Including the doe I shot September 21 st.

Bowhunter
Old 10-09-2002, 05:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-10-2002, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Smitty...while I agree with you that bucks often take a dump after rising from their bed, I must add that ALL deer do this and I've never heard that a buck does it so he can locate the area again. What, do you think he might get lost? Most often if a buck is bedded down, it is within the core of his home range and I can promise you he knows that area like the back of his hoof and has no need to take a crap so he can find his way back to bed at night. I don't know about the personal habits of most folks but whenever I wake up in the morning I have to empty my bowels, not so I can find my way back to the bathroom but because my gut is full of waste...why wouldn't deer do the same? Also, you've shot three antlered does???? Holy cow...what are the odds of that? You must have had some bizarre genes passing around the gene pool of your deer herd. And you had to put your &quot;doe&quot; tag on them? My tags are either antlerless or antlered so I'm assuming that in my state I would have had to put my buck tag on the antlered doe. And when you said that does rub their heads to relieve the itching...what itching are you referring to? You also stated that in NY you can see the deer exhale and that is when you shoot? The next time I have deer come by my stand, I'll have to check out to see if this is possible. I have a hard time believing that one.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

How 'bout this common one:

My bow shoots 300 fps; ain't no deer jumpin' that string!!!

I had a guy say it to me yesterday! We were discussing our bows, and told him mine was shooting my hunting arrow through a chrono at 276 fps. He told me that I don't have to worry about anything jumping my string. Puleeze! Anybody ever watched those hunting videos where they'll make a mark where the deer's back was before the bow shot, and then show how far he can drop before the arrow reaches its target?

Discipline -- not desire -- determines destiny.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh, oh, oh! Here's another good one:

Them Mathews bows are more expensive than other company's bows; they gotta pay for all that slick advertising!

Excuse me...!?! You must not have priced a new Hoyt, nor a new Parker, nor a new Bowtech, nor a new PSE, nor a new...

Discipline -- not desire -- determines destiny.

Quick Reply: OLD WIVES TALES...Let's Here 'em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.