Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 URGENT PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE I NEED TO KNOW TONIGHT!!!! >

URGENT PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE I NEED TO KNOW TONIGHT!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

URGENT PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE I NEED TO KNOW TONIGHT!!!!

Old 11-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: URGENT PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE I NEED TO KNOW TONIGHT!!!!

I READ THAT WHEN SHOOTING FROM A DOWNWARD ANGLE or AN UPWARD ANGLE THE FORCE GRAVITY HAS ON THE ARROW IS NOT AS SEVERE AS IF U WERE TO SHOOT LEVEL TO THE GROUND. PEOPLE (sorry) always try to compensate when shooting from an upward/downward angle...DON'T. aim right were u wan't to put the arrow and it will fly true. i don't know the physics on why an arrow drops the most when fired from a flat, level placement to the ground and not from an angle, say a shot from a tree or shooting up on asteep cliff/ravine, but it does.

THE FOOT
Old 11-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, gravity works the same at an angle or on a level; that's why you've got to know your "true" distance from the target, not your "line of sight" distance. There are physics majors on here who can come behind me to give you the formula, but you basically need to be concerned with the distance from the base of your tree to your target -- not the distance from where you are 15-20 foot high in the tree to the target. Another way to do this (if you're using a rangefinder) is to range a spot from your stand at the equivalent height that you want a reading; it accomplishes the same effect.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Site Bouncer

Shoot like you were standing on the ground. Just bend at the waist, don't drop your bow arm.

I also wondered about what height does to your arrow and I noticed with my range finder, that the base of a tree I was ranging was 20yds away. I then took a range from that same tree only this time I took it level with where I was standing (18ft up) it was 19yds this makes a 1yd difference....not much. I did the same thing at 40yds and the level range was 38yds.

So what I'm trying to say is if you know the distance you are shooting, shoot the same pin you would if you were on the ground and you will be within 2yds out to 40. Just remember to bend at the waist. people have a tendency to just lower their bow arm and that will move there peep alignment with the sight and thus move your point of impact.

Good Luck hunting.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Forget all that, just shoot, ask questions later...

Thats what everyone is trying to NOT MAKE YOU DO.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Buellhunter

Good point, I forgot to mention a saftey harness.
Nothing good can come out of falling out of a tree!
Except for a good lesson to others as well as the fallee (if he / she survives)...
Old 11-12-2005, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

I read in bowhunter magazine that if you are around 20ft. up in a tree stand that your 20 yard pin will be accurate at 27 yards because of the force of gravity at that angle. Is this true?
Old 11-13-2005, 02:33 AM

I don't like to have to think too much when a deer steps into range,so I use a pendulum.
No guesing,,just aim and shoot.Perfect every time
Old 11-13-2005, 03:33 AM

Aim a little low. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

don't drop your bow arm to aquire the target. draw and anchor like you always do and bend at your waist and you'll be fine
Quite true.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Patriot15

I read in bowhunter magazine that if you are around 20ft. up in a tree stand that your 20 yard pin will be accurate at 27 yards because of the force of gravity at that angle. Is this true?

seriously, i'd like to see the math on that one. you're going to get a downward acceleration of 9.8m/s2 due to gravity no matter what angle you shoot from. this is irregardless of your horizontal velocity, and will not effect it.

if you shoot a rifle perfectly horizontally on an open plane and drop a penny from the same height at the exact same time, they will both hit the ground at the same time.

Quick Reply: URGENT PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE I NEED TO KNOW TONIGHT!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.