HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Need some Gator Hunting Advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/120470-need-some-gator-hunting-advice.html)

Jay Jolicoeur 11-09-2005 08:03 PM

Need some Gator Hunting Advice

I have some questions about gator hunting:

1) What do you recommend bow, cross bow or harpon, and why?

2) Do you need to use a bang stick or will a shotgun do fine?

3) Is it legal to bate in Florida?

4) Where is the kill spot on a gator?

I appreciate it.

Roseaukaine 11-09-2005 09:38 PM

RE: Need some Gator Hunting Advice

[quote][) What do you recommend bow, cross bow or harpon, and why?

2) Do you need to use a bang stick or will a shotgun do fine?

3) Is it legal to bate in Florida?

4) Where is the kill spot on a gator?

/quote]

1 - I recommend a gun - but if you must shoot a bow, shoot one no less than 35 lbs DW, with a good, strongbroadhead

2 - A shotgun is way overkill.... an accurate .22 LRshot will do just fine...if in doubt.....bring a .38 pistol or greater.

3 - I am not familiar with Fla. regulations, but in La. we bait them with rank, rotten chicken hanging about 3' off of the water. The baitedhook, hung from a length of cane pole,is tied to a stout rope connected to a stake or tree. A hunter checks his "lines" and when one is found missing, hepullsit upslowly to the surface. The gator comes up easily most of the time (with the hook in his stomach).

4- The kill spot on a gator is about 5-6 inches in back of his eyes, right dead center. Hit him there and he won't move again. Miss - and hang on, you're going for a ride.

This is how alligator hunters do it here - I've been a part of some "collections" before ---- I really wouldn't consider it hunting though.....

HandB274234 11-09-2005 09:49 PM

Your not killing any type of Gator with a 22 are you kidding? go to www.accuratereloading.com and check out some of those videos. Shoot him right in the eye and youll drop it.

Roseaukaine 11-10-2005 09:33 AM

Your not killing any type of Gator with a 22 are you kidding?
Nope - no kidding. I have seen it done too many times (by people who knew what they were doing). Note the comment of an ACCURATE shot. I have also seen gators killed by shooting themthrough the eye; however, that was at farther ranges. Point-blank from a .22 rifle in the right spotwill put almost anything down in North America.

HandB274234 11-10-2005 10:09 AM

I know you can killa deer with a 22 ive done it with one shot behind the ear, but for a gator damn thats impressive.

DillerMcG 11-10-2005 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: HandB274234

I know you can killa deer with a 22 ive done it with one shot behind the ear, but for a gator damn thats impressive.
Thought it was illegal to shoot deer with a 22cal......huh