Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Could'nt shoot an old friend >

Could'nt shoot an old friend

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Could'nt shoot an old friend

Old 11-10-2005, 03:29 PM

Default RE: Could'nt shoot an old friend

ORIGINAL: atlasman

I have wildlife in my yard nearly every day..........I live in a suburban area and hunting is not allowed in my town.......even if I could hunt them I wouldn't. It wouldn't be hunting.......just killing. I have deer that come to me exactly how you described......bucks, does, fawns.......and I have watched a flock of turkey raise their little ones for the last 2 years. It is something special to be able to see day in and day out. I watch the deer's fur change and I see the spotted little ones running with mom every spring and I see velvet hanging and when they shed.........it is a very cool thing. These are not wild animals as nearly everyone for about a mile lays out food for them at one point or another.......some to watch and be sure they are not starving.........and some to keep them off their landscaping. Either way they are more pets then wild. Shooting them would be pretty pathetic IMO. I have video of a 12 locking up with a 10 in my yard in a playful manner and even though they were better bucks then I have ever seen in the woods around here I couldn't imagine shooting one and being even remotely proud of it...........I would feel more shame then anything else. The deer I hunt are similar to the ones in my yard by appearence alone. Enjoy the special chance you have of bonding with a creature that very few ever have a chance to.........there are plenty of deer in the woods to shoot.
Couldnt of said it better myself atlasman. My thoughts exactly.

And for DoubleLung55, theres a 6 point running around also. Could be my guys offspring, I dunno. But he visits a few times a month and Iwill take him next year for sure. Other than thatI see a fork and a spike once and a while. My guys gotta be the dominant buck in the area...... I think anyway.

I also appreciate so much feedback on the matter.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

That story is a great example of the difference between a hunter and a killer. You do not always have to kill something to enjoy your hunt.You my friend are a true hunter and made the right choice. I take my hat off to you.

Shane
Old 11-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

thats cool.a pet deer.take a pic and post it.the only bad thing about this is if someone knows hes around.someone could come hunt him down.is there land around for someone to get after him??i hope not for your sake.maybe he will bring a friend by you someday good luck
Old 11-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't shoot him either unless he got to be a real wall hanger. But it's an interesting moral dilemma. Why are we perfectly fine with shooting any other animal just because we don't see them every day? Don't get me wrong, I respect your decision. This post just got me thinking - what makes this deer different from any other deer that I would gladly shoot? This is why I wouldn't feed animals...
Old 11-23-2005, 02:28 PM

We have a old doe that is missing the top of her right ear.We havent named her but she makes our place home and she will grow old here if I have anything to do with it.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story. I probably couldnt shoot him either.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I probably would pass also, I enjoy seeing the wildlife run around my property but, it would also be kind of neat to have him mounted so you could have something to remember your buddy by especially with 14 inch G2's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!