Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BIG BUCK HIT...NEED ADVICE FAST !!! >

BIG BUCK HIT...NEED ADVICE FAST !!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BIG BUCK HIT...NEED ADVICE FAST !!!

Old 11-08-2005, 11:27 PM

Default BIG BUCK HIT...NEED ADVICE FAST !!!

okay heres the deal... my bro shot a MONSTER tonight... i mean a monster.. i have seen pictures of this buck on our game cameras and it is at least a 20 " 10 pt with a set on incredably long G2's (12-14 inches) just a monster...now heres where we need some advice.. he shot it at 10 yrds with not the greatest bow and made a good shot around the shoulder area.. i wasnt with him but thats where he says ( and hes a good shot so im gonna take his word for it ) but he didnt go all the way through.. hesaw the buck run about 50 yrds and stop and he could see the arrow still in him...about 9 inch penetration..so we gave him 2 hrs to lay down and die...so tonight we were tracking him and without an exit wound i thought the blood was pretty descent.. so we track him for about 100 yrds till we get to a feild and then the blood just stops... i mean stops.. i looked for at least 2 hours and not a speck of blood in the field.. we found the arrow and confirmed that he had at least 9 inches of penetration, but we cant find his deer.. i mean he bled real good for the 100 yrds and then it just stopped like some1 put a cork in him.. and that was the end of it.. i would hate to see such a monster go unfound.. we need some help !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: BIG BUCK HIT...NEED ADVICE FAST !!!

Dont worry, if he hit the shoulder area and you got 9" you hit lungs. best thing that happen to you guys is loseing that blood trail. in the morning go back and look for blood and do grid searches. take a bottle of hydrogen peroxide to spray on the likley looking blood. He may have doubled back on his own trail. they do that. Make sure you post results on here. You will find him within 200 yards of last blood think positive. With all night to bed he'll pass on in his bed. check near water
Old 11-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Fork Horn

I would get some more people to help you out, you would be suprised what a few extra eyes can do. If you simply cant find any blood trail, i would start to search in areas u know deer to bed in, walk the edges of the area to try and catch a blood trail first, if you hit im in the chest he is still bleeding. Last resort get a gang of guys and start body checking, if the deer is dead i know you will find him. DONT GIVE UP!!!! Good luck

Old 11-08-2005, 11:48 PM

Boy that sucks....I'd say wait till morning and get some friends to help you guys go out and track him. If he got 9 in penatration anywhere in the kill zone it's got to be down somewhere. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I concur with everyone else. Don't forget our friends the crows, cause if he is laying dead out there somewhere I guarantee they are sitting above him or on him making all kinds of racket. They just don't keep secrets very well. Did you say it was a shoulder shot or behind the shoulder? No matter what there is a good chance that he is dead. Well good luck on yer search.........

Old 11-09-2005, 06:29 AM

If he hit high in the shoulder the buck maylive.Was the deer quarting or broadside? Treestand or from the ground?? Good luck finding him,don't give up to easy.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:31 AM

What is the word on this deer..... Did the crows find him yet? And did you find the crows?
Old 11-09-2005, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well if your correct and with 9 inches of penatration like that im thinking he hit the off shoulder? if thats the case id go back this morning and look for him because hes probly there. good luck
Old 11-09-2005, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

if you shot this deer out of a tree stand ...hit him high in the sholder with no exit wound then what may have happened is the you got good blood from the wound early but as the deer ran off and the blood ran through his hair but after a 100 yards or so the blood started to coagulate .... and having a high wound in the sholder what blood was coming out itwas just running into his hair thus very little blood on the ground ... I bet hes bleeding inside a good bit and most likely is within a 150 yards of where you found the last blood ..
good luck to you ...

DD
Old 11-09-2005, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

Because you lost blood at the edge of the field, could mean he doubled back on his trail .
He could have gotten to the field, didn't like something and went back.
Closely go over the blood trail and look fo the deer going off of it on either direction, i have had a couple deer do this to me, for some reason they
hooked to the right off of the blood trail.

Good luck

Quick Reply: BIG BUCK HIT...NEED ADVICE FAST !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.