Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 CRAZY HAPPENINGS ON THE GROUND >

CRAZY HAPPENINGS ON THE GROUND

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

CRAZY HAPPENINGS ON THE GROUND

Old 11-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default CRAZY HAPPENINGS ON THE GROUND

AFTER ALL OF MY FUN IN A TREE STAND I NOW DO 90 PERCENT OF MY HUNTING ON THE GROUND, BUT CRAZY THINGS STILL FIND ME. ONE TIME I RAN OUT OF COVER SCENT SO I SPRAYED MY SELF DOWN WITH SOME 50/50 (GOOD STUFF) AND DECIDED TO GO HUNTING DESPITE OF THE RAIN. I MADE MY WAY TO MY SPOT AND HAD BEEN THERE AN HOUR OR SO WHEN I FELT SOMETHING NUDGE ME IN THE BACK I THOUGHT IT WAS PROBABLY A SQUIRREL SO I SLOWLY TURNED AROUND AND THERE WAS A DOE AND A FAWN STANDING RIGHT BESIDE ME. I DON'T KNOW WHO JUMPED MORE! THEN THE SAME WEEK, STILL NO NEW COVER SCENT, I WAS LEAVING MY SPOT AND IT WAS ALMOST COMPLETELY DARK WHEN I HEARD SOMETHING RUNNING HARD SO I TURNED AROUND AND THERE WAS A DEER ON A DEAD RUN RIGHT AT ME AT 10 FEET, I SCREAMED LIKE A LITTLE GIRL! WHEN I REALIZED I SCREAMED I TRIED TO GIVE A COYOTE HOWL TO COVER IT (DON'T TELL ANYONE ABOUT THE SCREAM). NEEDLESS TO SAY I WASHED MY CLOTHES AND GOT SOME COVER SCENT. THEN A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO I WAS ON PUBLIC GROUND SLIPPING REAL SLOW DOWN A TRAIL IN THICK COVER AND HEARD SOMETHING BEHIND ME IN THE HEAVY WIND. I TURNED JUST IN TIME TO SEE THE OPEN JAWS OF A VERY MEAN GERMAN SHEPHERD. I ABOUT @#@# MY PANTS, HE WAS GROWLING AND LUNGING, I TRIED TO KICK HIM BUT MISSED WAS GONNA SHOOT HIM BUT HE RAN OFF..............I LUV HUNTN, ALWAYS A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE
Old 11-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: CRAZY HAPPENINGS ON THE GROUND

Man you have has some great expierences the say the least. Three keys up on the left is the caps lock button. I'm glad the shepard didn't get ahold of ya. Keep us posted on any future encounters.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

I almost forgot my best and most scary moment. Christmas eve five years ago I was slipping along towards the end of a fence row where there were 4or 5 deer standing when i saw a truck drive up to the other side of the holler (I'm a redneck), two guys got out and started walking around so I picked up the pace to try to get to the deer before they spooked when out of nowhere a shot fired and a tree limb 8 inches in front of my head snapped! I heard one of them yell there he is then more shots I dove behind the biggest tree I could see, dirt exploded off of the ground next to me with every shot . I was MORTIFIED! I was to scared to yell . They both emptied their rifles and were reloading when I decided to make a brake for it. To this day I still flinch real bad at the sound of a gunshot. Never did find out who those guys were, I assume they were trying to poach deer
Old 11-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

How you forgot that one I'll never know but at least your remembered the caps lock. Thanks and be carefull.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

CRAZY STORY I EXPERIENCED was when i was pushing a thicket with my buddy. his dad, brother and brother-in-law were on the otherside of the thicket. we were wearing orange but didn't bother to bring our gloves cause we ended up having to crawl. we come out of this thicket sweating are arss off when a shot rang out right in front of us. abam (my buddy) hits the ground with this look on his face as if he was just sodomizedi start feeling my chest, looking for blood. adam comes over the walkie talkie "dad do u see us, were right here, dad, dad". his dad comes back "i know were u are". adam stands up and waves his hand "do u see us now dad" his dads like "oh your right there, did u see the size of that doe, she was right in front of u" I began to feel sick. from this day forward i don't care who u are i will not push towards hunters and won't have them do the same for me. TO F#*^IN SCARY.

THE FOOT
Old 11-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

I was coyote hunting one time and laying in the right of way between two fields where there was a big bush and some round bails. I was using a rabbit call and only watching to the west because I knew there was a den about 400 yards away in that direction. About half way through one of my calling sequencesI heard a loud "WOOO" sound behind me. I did a 180 degree roll with gun in hand in a blink of the eye, thinking a coyote had snuck up behind me. After I had rolled over I saw a hawk flying up from the ground about 10 ft. from me. Guess he thought he knew where the rabbit was....thankfully the hawk wasn't more accurate! haha

Last year I had just climbed down and packed my climber up and it was already dark. As I take my first step away from the base of the tree, coyotes let loose all around me! Then I hear crunch crunch crunch slowly coming straight to me. My first thought was that it was the deer that had been under (which is why I had to stay until complete darkness). It kept getting closer and closer so I shined my flashlight (which was in need of new batteries really bad!) and caught eyes in the beam. They were too low to the ground to be a deer....soo my next thought was a coyote since they were all howling. I started hollering but it kept coming my way. So I decided to start walking while keeping the light on my back trail. Then the damn thing literally started following me! By now, I'm thinking Oh Sh|t!! So I kept walking and keeping an eye on it, then I see it start to climb a tree......turns out to be a possum! haha It was a little hair raising for a bit, to say the least.

jimmy.....I've had a similar experience as that. Soph. year in H.S. I had tagged out opening day and so did my uncle. So we ended up pushing deer for people (it was a very large group and uncoordinated). Me and him were topping a hill and all of a suddenKA-BOOOOM. Me and him hit the deck sooooo fast. Then he looks over at me, "Are you okay?" I asked the same and we were fine but it scared the tar out of us! After that day I will only push deer for people that I know and only if it's a small small number of people that's coordinated.