Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Falling asleep in the Stand >

Falling asleep in the Stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Falling asleep in the Stand

Old 11-08-2005, 04:50 PM

Default RE: Falling asleep in the Stand

Isn't that part of deer hunting ? Like a previous post, I always wear a safety harness while taking my snooze...
Old 11-08-2005, 05:00 PM

i used to loathe it. never could do it. but more and more, being busy with school and staying at friends houses till 1130 the nite before i go hunting, i just have to some days. during the rut im gonna have to stay awake, but i usually catch power naps in 10 minute spurts, just enough to get some rest but stay alert. thats why i try and get on stand early in the afternoon during everning hunts, so i can catch a few Z's right away and be alert when teh deer are moving.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually take naps now and again. If I am doing the whole day I am bound to take a nap at some point. Last Sat. I was napping around 1:00 and all of a sudden I heard some footsteps and sprang awake to see a small buck walking under me. I try to nap whenthe deer are not going to move but with the rut coming, they could come at anytime.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yup... I have dozed off to sleep a few times in my Summit Viper X4. That climber is so comfortable, it's like a Lazy-boy recliner 22' up in a tree! [8D] As long as I have my harness (I don't even THINK of climbing the tree without it!), I know I'll be safe and secure and can nod off to sleep if the opportunity calls for it.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

some of the best sleep i've ever had was while hanging from my harness....lol...probably not the smartest thing to do but it works...i just make sure all the slack is gone and then lean forward...after a bit your neck starts to hurt but it's like sleeping on the clouds....my climber is comfy too....i work until 11pm and then have an hour drive home almost, wake up at 3 or 4 and then hunt from dark to dark....it wears ya out so i've got to catnap once in awhile...around 8am it gets really bad but i've been forcing myself to stay awake.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

i never have as far as i know lol
Old 11-08-2005, 08:44 PM

Nope. I can't say I have. I'm always extremely alert while deer hunting.....but then I usually start to day dream and then come back to reality with a deer coming towards me.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a lot of different stands, one of which is a tree lounge. I don't climb with it, I have it set in probably my most productive early season buck hangout. I have a ladder going up to it. I must admit, that sucker is so comfortable its easy to sleep in if you choose too. Its also a great stand to sleep in all night in the early season, heat of late August and early September if a guy wants to hunt an evening hunt, sleep all night and be there at daylight. I woke up one morning after sleeping all night in it...to 12 head of elk under me!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:41 PM

man i just cant...i do rest the ole eyes from time to time but like others have said the ears stay up ...cant imagine fallin out since i rarely wear a harness[&:]i know i know i should but dont
Old 11-09-2005, 12:09 AM

This past Saturday I actually snorted while asleep and woke myself. I too was just resting my eyes.
My son works off shifts and was in stand one day just under a half hour and was woken when he fell from stand and hung by his belts and one foot. I am thankful he listens to the old man and always wears his belts.
I can not do all day shifts in stand (like I like to do during the rut) for two or three days in a row without a nap now and then.

Quick Reply: Falling asleep in the Stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.