Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

campfire smell

Old 11-08-2005, 07:20 AM

Default campfire smell

HAZCON7 and I are going camping/hunting (actually, he's already there) and there is really no way to shower out there, so he doesn't really want a campfire so we don't smell like fire. I can't imagine camping without one. Do y'all think campfire smell will spook deer? Our(huntin) clothes will be in huge ziploc bags, so they won't be affected, but our bodys and hair will.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: campfire smell

ANY smell could spook them, but there doesn't seem like there's much you'll be able to do about it.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

When we hunt and camp, I'll usually bring a hot shower. You leave the bag in the sun during the day and the water inside gets pretty hot. But then again, you need a water source. If the water is not too clean, you may want to bring a purifier. As far as smoke smell. I'd personally wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd worry more about human oder. And I like you would want to have a fire going.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:50 AM

AaaaHaaa!
I'll bring lotsa water jugs, and warm them by the FIRE!
Old 11-08-2005, 08:03 AM

I also would'nt worryto much about it, alot of hunters i talk to agree that deer are pretty much used to the smell's of burning. Deer dont ussually associate the smell of a campfire with people.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:14 AM

Like Diller said, I don't worry about the smell of campfire because deer become used to it with other campers, hunters, farmers, etc. I don't consider an out-of-the-ordinary smell for them.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder if it would actually be a good cover scent
Old 11-08-2005, 09:14 AM

Unless you are hunting an area with alot of human presence, (urban or highly pressured area) I would certainly think that a deer WOULD associate the smell of smoke with humans/hunters. We have a fire in our camp, but I take precaution not to stand directly in the smoke as well as changing out of my hunting clothes and cap as soon as I get back in camp. JMHO
Old 11-08-2005, 09:17 AM

I don't think you have to stand in the smoke to smell like a campfire. Just sitting in the vicinity of one makes you smell like one. I don't worry about it.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:26 AM

True, but the less you are in it, the less you'll smell like it and the less cover scent or odor eliminator you'll have to use. JMO

Quick Reply: campfire smell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.