HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   odd happenings in the stand (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/120174-odd-happenings-stand.html)

pjhunts 11-07-2005 09:10 PM

odd happenings in the stand

A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO I WAS IN MY STAND AND A SMALL FALCOLN THING TRIED TO ATTACK ME. I SAW HIM LAND ON A LIMB ABOUT 10 FEET FROM ME AND HE SAT THERE WATCHING ME. I NEVER MOVED ANYTHING EXCEPT FOR MY EYES, EVIDENTLY HE THOUGHT THEY WERE FOOD AND TRIED TO CATCH THEM. I ALMOST JUMPED OUT OF THE TREE! HIS TALONS WERE WITHIN INCHES OF MY EYES. ALSO, I HAD A 4 FOOT BLACK SNAKE CRAWL OUT OF A KNOT HOLE THAT I HAD MY STAND HUNG OVER, HE ALMOST GOT IN MY LAP BEFORE I NOTICED HIM..........I MOVED MY STAND!

Double Creek 11-07-2005 09:12 PM

RE: odd happenings in the stand

I've had an Owl almost get me, he swerved at the last minute.....Scared the crap out of me.....

HUNTING_MN 11-07-2005 10:58 PM

alright that snake would put me on my a$$ on the ground, dont get along with them things....but the worst thing thats happend to me is one of them damn red squirrels givin me away to a nice buck that i had comin in, i had him comin in bout 45 yds on a steady pace down the trail i had my stand on, got within 30 yrds i was pulled back and one of those squirrels popped out of a whole that was right above me and started chirppin, that was all it took for him to get spooked.... was i pissed it turned into a squirrel hunt very rappidly

thenuge15 11-07-2005 11:18 PM

I had a hawk swoop at me once. I moved abrubtly and it realized how big I was and changed directions.

SWOSUMike 11-08-2005 12:47 AM

About two weeks ago, I was at full draw on a good bow buck. He was about 45 yards out and on his way into my range. I like them within 30 yards. I drew on him at about the only chance I was gonna get without him seeing me, and I was just waiting him out at full draw. He stopped for a moment, as time stood still. Out of nowhere, a muzzleloader fired and that buck hit the ground right in front of me. Off to the south I see an orange-clad guy who was feeling the emotion that I was just a moment away from experiencing! I nearly cried. Anyway, he saw me a minute or two later.

spde911 11-08-2005 01:45 AM

We'll haven't had anything just scare me out of the stand yet, but the last time I was out I had a bird land on my arrow. I had just finished installing a new bow holder. It was one of those that attaches right to the side of the stand. Once I got it secured, I put my bow in it. I had an arrow noc'd and was awaiting any sign of deer when this little bird just landed on my noc'd arrow. Once it realized that I wasn't part of the tree it took off. The only other experiences I've had are the stupid squirels that come up and just look at me. They'll get within a few feet and just stare at me. I've wondered if it's better to try to scare the squirels off or just leave them alone. The do make a lot of noise and I figured that if a deer did come in, the squirels would spook them off. On the other hand, I've read a couple of posts on here that said the deer are used to the way the squirels sound and it doesn't bother them.

Big John 11-08-2005 07:26 AM

Bees. Climbed a tree with the climbing stand and when it warmed up a little, the bees, from a small hole in the tree, started swarming, underneath me. I finally had to abandon ship. I jumped out at 12 feet and it wasn't pretty.

livbucks 11-08-2005 07:49 AM

I did the honey bee thing too. They were eating me alive once the sun came out. I got out of there in a hurry.
I also had a raccoon in my stand one morning and he wasn't the sharing type. I had to throw sticks and rocks at him to get him evicted.

gastler 11-08-2005 08:28 AM

I was about 20 foot up in my climber on a windy day. A tree up the ridge from me started to give way and was falling right for me. It caught a large limb at the last second and landed ten foot to the left of my stand. Scard the piss out of me, but I didnt have anywhere to go, lol.

wis_bow_huntr 11-08-2005 08:52 AM

I had 4 chickadees land on me :D. needless to say the pooed on me too. And this one time i had a bunch of turkeys roost in the tree i was in, needless to say, they pooed on me too.And this one time at band camp.............lol

LA_SWAMPER 11-08-2005 09:08 AM

The worst I ever got was to climb up into one of my boxstands to find a chicken snake coiled up on my seat. I figured i would let him hunt that spot. One of my buddies dad had went to sleep in his stand once and awoke to see a hawk inches from his face with his talons. Luckily it didnt get him too bad just a few stiches. The only thing we could figure is that the gray in his beard on his chin made the ole hawk think it was a squirrel.

iowabob85 11-08-2005 09:19 AM

I had a squirrel sit on my boot for about 5 minutes one time before I got tired of him and kicked him off onto the ground. You want to talk about something that got peed off. He came right back up the tree on the back side at head level and peeked around at me. I just looked at him and gave him a big old raspberry. He decided that I wasn't anything to mess with and exited my part of the woods quick fast and in a hurry.

shed33 11-08-2005 09:52 AM

I have had a big hawk land right on the big cedar limb I was resting my elbow on. He and I made eye contact, I watched him for about 5 seconds then decided to wiggle the branch, he flew off.

Had a young black bear sitting in my stand one time while I approached it. That was a site. I about died laughing at him. I moved on down the ridge and hunted a different stand to say the least. I figured his mother was around somewhere...

Had a mooo-cow bed down right at the base of my tree one time. Until I hit her in the head with my knife scabert. LOL

GSPsnFORDs 11-08-2005 10:22 AM

I was in a permanent stand in a forked tree once and was watching a squirrel make his way from tree to tree. Eventually he made it to my tree and started climbing down the trunk that I was leaning against. He made it to within about a foot above my head and we were staring at each other. I decided enough was enough and made some movement to scare him off before he decided to climb down my face and the rest of my body.

Buck Huntin Girl 11-08-2005 10:30 AM

I don't have near the stories you all do... the weirdest thing that has happened to me was the squirrel that ran up my tree and slapped me in the back of my head with his tail on the way up.

Oh... another squirrel story, first week of bow season this year I was sittin there, and we have an apple tree right next door to our tree, squirrel was eatin apples, dropped one and missed my head by inches.... he about got himself a trip to the dinner table real quicklike... I told him (and I actually TOLD this squirrel) he had one more chance and he better not blow it or he wouldn't live to eat another apple! :D

NY Bowhunter 11-08-2005 10:39 AM

I'm not even sure where to begin...
Probably my worst experience was a few years ago I was sitting in a ladder stand. Got settled in and it was still dark so I leaned my head back on the tree. About 5 minutes later I hear something coming down the tree. I open my eyes in time to see a racoon about 6 inches from my nose. He climbed down over the side of my face and over my shoulder. Scared the living wee wee out of me (literally). I flung him off me with my arm to the ground from 15 feet. Freaked me out pretty bad.

MOTOWNHONKEY 11-08-2005 10:54 AM

I was at full draw on a nice buck waiting for the shot when I heard a squirrell comming down my tree and stop right above me. I'm thinking this ain't going so good and feel little feet start to touch my head as if to test the waters. (Not that I am a water head or anything ) I tyried to stay focused but couldn't. Wound up slapping the crap out of the tree rat and watched a nice buck bounce off.

G2 Shooter 11-08-2005 11:42 AM

I have had birds land on me, squirrels jump on me and had a huge woodpecker fly right at me to swerve at the last second. That freaked me out. I think NY Bowhunter has me beat on the best one though. There was a racoon climbing up the tree and I think he wanted to share my stand. I actually broke off a branch and threw it at him. I didn't want to tangle with his claws or teeth.

BigRack23 11-08-2005 12:52 PM

I had a fly-by from an owl. It freaks you out because you never hear it come as it glides through the woods.

Another time, I was walking to my stand through a CRP field before dark and I heard somethingrunning towardsme. I hit the ground and looked ahead and I could only see the faint hue of the horizon and tried to focus on what what coming my way. Next thing I know I'm face to face with a SKUNK! Yikes! I bailed out of there in a hurry.

Firehawk7309 11-08-2005 01:00 PM

Nothing too dramatic. I've had birds land on my arrow, and coons, possum, and squirrels climb half way up my tree until they realize I'm up there.

quiksilver 11-08-2005 01:43 PM

I was bowhunting behind a college branch campus one night (about 100-150 yards from a parking lot), and had a romantic couple come down in the woods and set up camp on an oak flat,about 25 yards from my stand. They sat down in the leaves and started a make-out session.So I gave 'em a cough to alert them of my presence.

Needless to say, they were a little embarrassed, and bailed out of there quickly.

If the girl was hotter, I'd have kept my mouth shut, because things weregetting hot & heavy. She was pretty homely though - I bino'ed her first, to make sure. LOL

That was about 6 years ago.

Kojak248 11-08-2005 02:00 PM

ORIGINAL: SWOSUMike

About two weeks ago, I was at full draw on a good bow buck. He was about 45 yards out and on his way into my range. I like them within 30 yards. I drew on him at about the only chance I was gonna get without him seeing me, and I was just waiting him out at full draw. He stopped for a moment, as time stood still. Out of nowhere, a muzzleloader fired and that buck hit the ground right in front of me. Off to the south I see an orange-clad guy who was feeling the emotion that I was just a moment away from experiencing! I nearly cried. Anyway, he saw me a minute or two later.

Do archery and muzzleloader seasons run together in Oklahoma? They don't here in Kansas. Had that happened to me, I would have pretty pissed because the guy would have been hunting illegally.

20 Fan 11-08-2005 02:21 PM

While turkey hunting this past spring, I had a racoon come right in on me. I initially spotted him about 30 yards away, then watched as he moved up the hill towards me. I had my Nova leaning on my right thigh and knee, with a small hickorynut tree at 10:00. As the coon angled towards me, the hickorynut tree blocked him out for the last few feet.Ashe passed behind the tree, I brought the gun up to my shoulder.He came out from behind the tree, and right at me. Needless to say, Iwent home without a gobbler but felt goodknowing there was one less predator raiding turkey nests.

Patriot15 11-08-2005 04:00 PM

Last saturday I was hunting on a telephone phone in west texas with a tree growing around it. I'm in a ladder stand i felt the telephone pole move a little bit. I looked up at the same time an owl crapped on me. Luckly i had a face mask on so it didn't get in my mouth. I drew back to shoot him i was so pissed off but it wasnt his fault I was there. I could of had owl stew if i wanted;)(Dont worry i've never shot an owl and never plan on doing it)

hatchet jack 11-08-2005 04:26 PM

I had a squirrel pee on my head once[:-]

Deerslayer_37 11-08-2005 04:54 PM

i've had owls swoop in on me before, twice actually in the same stand. they like to perch in the tree i have my stand it, they just kinda come outta nowhere. the one that takes the cake though didnt happen to me.

i was going over friday nite on the gravel driveway thats a mile long to our gate to our land in iowa to do some shining and some howling to locate some coyotes for the next mornings hunt. i saw headlights coming towards me so i pulled off the the side and rolled down my window. it was a guy that bowhunts our land, and we just started talking and comparing notes and i told him some of the pictures of bucks i had. when i said i had a dandy pictured near a stand, he said, "well, you're probably going to think im full of it, and dan(another guy bowhunting there) does, but i'll tell you anyway" turns out he was sitting and he saw movement. he got his bow ready, and then he thought it was a coyote or fawn deer. it stepped into a shooting lane, and here the damn thing was a goat with a yellow tag in its ear. like 2 miles from the nearest farm to boot. he said it went through quickly and came back through soon after. if i see it during shotgun season, that boy is getting to take a ride in the pick up truck:)

pjhunts 11-08-2005 05:05 PM

I ALSO HAD A SMALL GROUP OF DOMESTIC PIGS COME UNDER MY STAND ON PUBLIC LAND NOWHERE NEAR A FARM, DIDN'T KNOW IF IT WOULD BE LEGAL TO STICK ONE BUT I WOULD SURE LIKE TO MMMMMMGOOD

Gadeerslayer 11-08-2005 05:13 PM

Same thing happened to me while turkey hunting. A scary feeling watching that hawk fly at ground level towards me then swoop back up just yards from my face as I was waving my hands and cussing at him..

livbucks 11-08-2005 05:25 PM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

I was bowhunting behind a college branch campus one night (about 100-150 yards from a parking lot), and had a romantic couple come down in the woods and set up camp on an oak flat,about 25 yards from my stand. They sat down in the leaves and started a make-out session.So I gave 'em a cough to alert them of my presence.

Needless to say, they were a little embarrassed, and bailed out of there quickly.

If the girl was hotter, I'd have kept my mouth shut, because things weregetting hot & heavy. She was pretty homely though - I bino'ed her first, to make sure. LOL

That was about 6 years ago.
That is the difference between bucks and broads. A chicks rack does not get better with age. Check them out good first.

Bassman4940 11-09-2005 12:43 PM

I’ve had 2 encounters… The first was an owl that was sitting in a dead tree about 40 yards from my tree. I got into my stand before first light, and just as it was starting to get light I noticed him and he took off, swung around and right towards me.
When he started getting closer I saw his talons come out and realized he was coming in for the attack.
I raised up my bow just in time to have him veer off right above my head, close enough that I could feel the wind from his wings. I was wearing a head cover at the time and he must have seen me move my head and thought I was a squirrel or something.

The second encounter was pretty comical.
I heard a rustling coming from beneath my stand and looked down and saw a porcupine heading right for my tree. Sure enough out of all the trees in the woods he liked mine the best and started to climb up. Maybe he liked the smell of my cover scent or something.
As he headed up the tree, I started dropping little pieces of bark on his head trying to get his attention, but he never looked up. He climbed up to the level of my tree stand and just nudged his head with my toe and then he looked up and noticed me there, and just started at me. I finally whispered to him “Hey, this is my tree, go find your own!”
After a couple more nudges on his nose with my foot, he decided he’d climb down and it must have taken him 10 minutes to back down the tree in slow motion. It was pretty comical to see that fool thing back down a tree and amble off.
That made my day, and makes me really thankful that I hunt and can see little oddities of nature like that!

hillbilly17 11-09-2005 01:10 PM

You would hate Tn then... Thats every damn hunt.... Many times i have ended up with squirrl for dinner...

Thats great!

supreb 11-09-2005 01:53 PM

I had a squirrel try and climb on me and a chickadee latter on try and land on me.damn that mossy oak is good stuff

Talondale 11-09-2005 02:08 PM

I've had the hawk swoop happen, had several turkey fly across a field and land in the tree with me, and I've seen a hawk fly down and rake a deer's flank on the edge of a field. I also had a red fox track and tree me in my stand, he followed my scent around to the bottom of my tree, put his paw on the tree and look up at me. So much for scent elimination.