HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   what to do if I plan to mount a buck (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/119541-what-do-if-i-plan-mount-buck.html)

Finch 11-03-2005 10:23 AM

what to do if I plan to mount a buck

Say I shoot a nice buck and plan on mounting it. What should I do as far as when I field dress it and so on? I wouldnt want a full mount but the shoulder type. Just wondering b/c today may be the day.

thenuge15 11-03-2005 10:34 AM

RE: what to do if I plan to mount a buck

When you gut it stop at the rib cage. You have to reach your arsm way up there to cut the esophogus. Also this should be obvious but don't drag/hang it by the neck. When bringing it out of the woods a sled/tarp will help to prevent the hair from burning while dragging on the ground.

NorthernHunter 11-03-2005 12:52 PM

Prior poster provided some good advice and I would like to add a few more points:
1. Be careful when field dressing. Stop at the ribs as the prior poster mentioned. Reach up and remove the windpipe and heart and all.
2. Transport carefully using a tarp or sled as the other poster recommended.
3. Kind of obvious, but of almost as much importance as shooting the deer in the first place...know who your taxidermist is and have him lined up before hand. You should already have recommendations on taxidermists and have already witnessed their work!
4. Don't hand the deer upside down. This will damage the hair somewhat.
5. If butchering on your own, skin the deer as you normally would, but make sure when you pull the hide down to the shoulders you limit your cuts and you want to pull the skin off the front legs almost like when you pull your socks off your own feet. Grab from above and let the hide kind of turn inside out and fold down liek you are taking your socks off.
6. If ther eis any blood on the buck's snout/mouth area, clean that off when you first get home. You don't want any blood staining the white or brown fur. I'm sure the taxidermist could fix this, but this is something easy for you to clean ahead of time.

Buckhunter 17 11-03-2005 01:38 PM

well if you plan on mounting it, stop at the brisket. then if you take your deer to a locker to get him processed, ask them if they can cape it out. most of the lockers around here do it for like 10 bucks and do a good job of it.

Germ 11-03-2005 01:57 PM

Wear Protection, lol sorry !!!!

442deer 11-03-2005 02:42 PM

Try buying him some flowers, maybe dinner and a movie, and some estrous cologne:D

bob d 11-03-2005 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: ghemry

Wear Protection, lol sorry !!!!

also maybe put some corks on his points so you don't get gored and talk real sweet to him

txjourneyman 11-03-2005 03:57 PM

Oh, lol, I saw it coming!

Finch 11-03-2005 04:46 PM

Very funny guys! Should seen that coming.:) Anyway, thanks for the helpful advice.

JimboHunter1 11-03-2005 05:12 PM

4. Don't hand the deer upside down. This will damage the hair somewhat.
NH- I always heard that hanging them from their head could stretch the neck; therefore, I thought you were supposed to hang them up-side-down to keep this from happening. I've never heard that the hair could be damaged from hanging them from their feet.