Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting real windy days >

hunting real windy days

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting real windy days

Old 11-03-2005, 04:58 PM

Default RE: hunting real windy days

I was going to post this same question myself. Reason being, once last year and few days ago, (both in the pre-rut), the wind was howling and both turned out to be awesome evening hunts. Both were on field edges and the does and big bucks were out with shooting light left. I don't know if this was coincidense or not. One time might be luck, twice probably not.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

I have never had much luck seeing deer during windy conditions. Turkeys either for that matter. Here we should be near the peak of the rut in Michigan and the wind blew hard this morning. Didn't see a thing! Not often I get skunked for a day, much less during the rut.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Spike

I went today, winds were about 20, which is on the high side for my area. I was reluctant to go butwent for it anyway and did see a hand full of deer.The bigger problem is not being able to hear. Icould not hear them at all until theywere in bow range.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:45 PM

wind has completly sucked for me i have never seen a thing decent
Old 11-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

This time of year bucks are going to be on the move..nothing will stop them.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

I say huntregardless.Even though the windy days are'nt the best days you just never know.Their so unpredictable theirs no telling what the may do.They may notice thata lot ofhuntersare'nt in woods on those windy days and move more.Plus each day in the woods is another learning experience and you may find that windy days are the days to be in the woods in your area.
Good luck and give us the update,
JE
Old 11-03-2005, 09:18 PM

im gonna try to sneek close to beds and wait for those brief moments when the wind does die down and give a tending call with a doe bleat synphony. hoping i might get something moving around here.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GSPsnFORDs

I've hunted windy days were I almost got sick from swaying back and forthin my climber. When it gets to be that windy, I would rather spot n' stalk than sit up in a tree.
That's good advice.

When the wind blows, stay out of your favorite stands, because the odds are the winds are going to tip off the deer being erratic. Those windy days are the days to some "in-season" scouting.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:22 PM

I WOULD START TO TALK N' STALK ALSO. HAVE HAD BETTER LUCK. NOT TO MENTION 25 FEET UP IN A TREE WITH A 30MPH WIND CAN WREAK HAVOC ON ARROW FLIGHT, AND ITS NOT THE MOST STABLE SHOT EITHER. I WOULD RATHER HUNT IN A POURING RAIN, THEN A WINDY DAY! SEEN MORE DEER IN THE RAIN TOO.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: squeegee

I WOULD START TO TALK N' STALK ALSO. HAVE HAD BETTER LUCK. NOT TO MENTION 25 FEET UP IN A TREE WITH A 30MPH WIND CAN WREAK HAVOC ON ARROW FLIGHT, AND ITS NOT THE MOST STABLE SHOT EITHER. I WOULD RATHER HUNT IN A POURING RAIN, THEN A WINDY DAY! SEEN MORE DEER IN THE RAIN TOO.
I agree! It's very hard to shoot accurately in the wind.

Quick Reply: hunting real windy days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.