Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mid-day hunting

Old 11-03-2005, 07:59 AM

Default RE: Mid-day hunting

Movement here has been minimal at best. Lots of deer but it just hasn't cooled off enough yet. We have private land to hunt, and a long season, so I'm not in a rush. Things will be MUCH better here in about 2-3 weeks. Bow season is Oct 1-30, general season runs Nov 5- sometime in Jan., and I will bowhunt general season. Rut will run late Nov. to early Dec.

For us, if you have a good one patterened you can try early and late with a decent chance of scoring right now. I prefer to hunt very low impact untill mid -Nov. Deer movement goes way up then, that is the time to pull out the stops and go all day, anything can happen. To really spark deer movement here we need overnight lows in the 30's, highs in 40's or low 50's, and have had at least one real good blue norther.

Where? I would hunt any areas that concentrate does as the rut approaches, that is where bucks will be. Food sources, travel routes, etc. Don't overlook those secluded areas either. Many times when a buck is with a hot doe they will find an area away from the other deer to bed for a day.

Dr. D, I am in the Tx panhandle, the part that sticks up by Oklahoma, over on the east border. This is rolling plains country, mostly grasslands with brushy riverbottoms, plum thickets, shinoak motts.

Hope this all helps.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

I like to hunt a major river crossing or funnels. River crossings work great because with all the running around during the rut the bucks have to drink and they like to do it where there are major crossings to check scent on hot does at the same time. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mid day CAN be a good time to catch a buck cruising for does. I doe all-day hunting at this time of year just to catch a buck. I'm usually there from an hour before sunrise until it's too dark to see anymore that night. That's a LONG time to sit in a treestand! I was out today from 5:30am until 1:30pm and didn't see a thing. I spooked some on the way in, but that doesn't usually matter. It's the heat. Today was supposed to be 70's and tommorow and Saturdayis forecast is for upper 70's![:@] That really cuts down the daytime activity around here. It isn't supposed to cool off anytime soon. [:'(]
Old 11-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

I would normally hunt bottle necks or funnels between cover during the midday.

However, without fail, every year (and I mean every year) I will be driving along going to some relatives for T-day and see a monster out in the wide open field between 12-1pm. You COULD hunt near fields at this time of day but you have a better chance hunting all the aforementioned places. The only way I would really consider hunting a field at this time of day would be if the time forms a U around the field and that field was set aside and served as a bedding area.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:29 PM

Last week I had things to do at the house and snuck out around 10 on Saturday--by the time I had gotten to my stand around 11:30, I caught sight of 5 bucks feeding on an oak flat between bedding areas. I tried to reproduce the oak flat/bedding area relationship on another hunt only 3 days later, had 5 deer within range, one at 10 am, 12 pm, and 2 pm...mid day stuff, right off bedding areas.

vashadowhunter
Old 11-03-2005, 07:36 PM

Every big buck I have ever killed has been between 12pm and 1pm. And all have of them have been killed in funnels between doe bedding areas.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

Now this is what I call serious help!!Thanks guys.Dr.death I'm from southeast Ga.I guess deer movement is down everywhere due to this heat.spde911,you did help alot,and so have the rest of you.I think I'm picking good spots,just minimal movement.I have seen deer tues,wed,and today.I think it will be doing great this weekend.The best of luck to all of you.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

travel lanes and natural funnels
Old 11-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite scraping/seeking and breeding phase...of the rut....bowhunting set ups are situated in a funnels or inside corners. I always make sure these structures are located between doe bedding and feeding areas.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:11 PM

here in western new york i haven,t seen or heard a lot of chasing going on. saw a 8 travelling high ground around 9 am. must not be that time yet....But just the fact that he's in this given area at this time tells me its close. think the bugger was looking for apples in the area. been wrm and windy this whole week too.