HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Scent Elimination (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/119404-scent-elimination.html)

huntingangler.com 11-02-2005 11:50 AM

Scent Elimination

I have a tupperware bin that I've left my hunting clothes in all year. I left 3 dirt disks by hunters specialties in the bin also now when you pull the clothes out they smell like a dirt bomb. I'm looking for opinions is to excessive. I know the trick is scent elimination but is this overkill. might this spoke deer due to the incredible dirt bomb in a tree stand?

icedern 11-02-2005 11:54 AM

RE: Scent Elimination

Do you hunt near any fields...probably won't be because most farmers just disked the ground.

jpot141 11-02-2005 12:00 PM

Those wafers are pretty strong; I would probably use just one in the tupperware. Also, are you using regular camo or scent-lok camo? If scent-lok you should not be using the wafers.

huntingangler.com 11-02-2005 12:41 PM

No I don't hunt near fields, just hard woods and pines. Do you guys think I should wash my hunting suits and start over? I did pick up some X-scent spary to eliminate human oder. I just wonder if sitting in a treestand smelling like a big dirt bombis going to be spookie to the dear?

GR8atta2d 11-02-2005 01:47 PM

I do the same as you. Haven't been winded all year. I hunt both from the ground and a treestand. I've had deer (bucks and does) at 5 yards while on the ground. I use scentlok and the wafers.. contrary to a previous poster.

tschammel 11-02-2005 01:56 PM

I never liked or believed in those cover scents. I just can't emagine a big ole smart buck falling for that. I just go for the non scent soaps and sprays and do my best to be scent free. I have read several times that deer can smell in the part-per-million. Thats amazing! Plus that means not only can they smell but smell a lot of different things at once. If they are going to smell ya they are going to smell you.I don't think an earth scent wafferwillcover you, may actually hurt your chances. Just my opinion though. Good luck!

livetoplay804 11-02-2005 02:05 PM

I agree, I go in as scent free as possible. From head to toe. All my clothes are washed in scent free detergents, kept sealed, and only put on in the field. Never at home. Dont know if this is the answer, but I can show you video after video of deer seen on stand downwind of me this year.

So, get clean and stay clean. Keep all clothes completely away from trucks, atv's, and other foreign smells. Keep a tarp with you so when you get to the woods, you can change on it and keep your feet dry. It might be cold, but you will warm up fast.

I like scent lok products, but not sure thats the complete answer. Again, staying clean is the answer! Dont forget to shower or at least wash your head, hands, and neck before entering the woods each time.

Good Luck
Chris SW MO

hoytvtec 11-02-2005 02:55 PM

About a week before season opening i store all my clothes in a big ice chest with fresh oak leaves on top and bottom. this morning had a doe and 2 buck's 15 yards down wind and didn't get scented.

mtair 11-02-2005 05:52 PM

i hang my hunting clothes , 2 complete sets, on the clothes line for a week before opener , ill use one set a day an back on the line they go next day i use the other set, on the way to my hunting area i place them in a sealed new garbage bags with a few apples tossed in , this works well for me , good luck

huntingangler.com 11-02-2005 07:03 PM

Right now I like the hanging of the clothes answer to probably air out some of the dirt scent I think tomorrow I will air out my clothes and put them back in the container to possibly tone down the dirt scent. I was out hunting three weeks ago and I had on the dirt bomb suit and scene a nice 8 point come into bow range and missed, but before he got into range he looked up at me and appeared to take a big wif. I don't know if the wif was directed toward my dirt bomb suit or the doe P I had on the ground.