Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rut in Indiana??????? >

Rut in Indiana???????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rut in Indiana???????

Old 10-26-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Rut in Indiana???????

I'm hunting in Indiana next week. Anyone expect it will be Rut time???? If so, what calls should I use? Thanks
Old 10-27-2005, 05:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Rut in Indiana???????

They've begun to chase a little , but it's mostly immature bucks harassing does as well as each other . The full rut hasn't kicked in yet , and probably won't for another couple of weeks down here in the Southern tier . We have bushels of acorns on the ground too , so the deer are hardly moving . Most of the corn and some of the beans are down , but the woods are full of food .

As far as calls go the good old grunt should work well , and doe bleats or grunts seem to be doing ok . Rattling has been hit or miss so far , do it lightly if at all .
Old 10-27-2005, 03:22 PM

kevin1, I agree, I hunt western indiana and the little bucks are chasing does like crazy and the big boys are still lurking in the shadows, I always carry a grunt and it is working a little it seems to get the little bucks excited, You may want to try a few bleats, still too early for tinks 69 or any kind of doe in heat scent. right now my setup is a grunt, a bleat, a bottle of scent, away and a bottle of raccoon pee.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The guy I shot last week came in hunting for another buck after my buddy rattled and I hit the grunt tube a few times. Up here in NE Indiana...seems like the bucks are getting antsy.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:17 AM

Big boys have been quiet. ****ter bucks have been harrassing does who want nothing to do with them. Seen more ****ter's then ever! I grunted at a ****ter last weekend and he jumped about 4 feet in the air and took off.

I am off all of next week I hope the rut is kicking......does anyone think it will be?
Old 11-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

It's almost on us , a bud who processes deer near Indy says that they have had several swollen necked stinky bucks come in .