HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Got my first deer of the year last night, unfortunately (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/119155-got-my-first-deer-year-last-night-unfortunately.html)

Kentster911 10-31-2005 07:57 PM

Got my first deer of the year last night, unfortunately

Well I got my first deer of the year last night. Not what I expected. Was traveling out of town for work when a small fork horn ran out accross the 4 lane highway. It was coming accross and I was braking hard, it stopped in the median and turned around, I looked in my mirror and thought a car going the opposite direction hit him. Then I see the brake lights, so I turn around and see the car pulled over 1/2 mile up the road and I find the fork horn in the ditch, it was struggling to get out of there but unfortunately had 2 broken back legs. I was thinking I have to do something but all I had was a knife. The car turned around and came back and parked in the center median, it was a female and she was pretty shaken and was less a passenger side headlight. I asked if she was okay and she says yes is it still alive? I say yes and she says what should we do? I said all I had was a knife. Well she states she has a 22 rifle in her trunk so she gets it out and gives it to me and she stays in the center median, the gun had no shells but fortunately I had some in my truck. At this point the small buck struggled to get through the barbed wire fence but couldnt. It sucked but I put him out of his misery, couldnt stand the thought of him laying there with 2 broken back legs. Unfortunately I was out of town and working or I would have taken the deer and gotten a carcus tag.

Please take caution driving during the next month as the deer are on the move.

Sucks,

Kent

dohcrxl 10-31-2005 08:46 PM

RE: Got my first deer of the year last night, unfortunately

With the rut approaching fast, more and more deer are being hit by cars. Having a driving job as a career, I see newly hitones everyday. Having not gotten anything for my dozen ventures into the woods so far this year,I'msometimes tempted to stop and check if the carcass is not yet stiff. ;D

fl.huntress 11-01-2005 02:15 AM

sucks that you had to do it but you did the right thing.

ShadowAce 11-01-2005 03:23 AM

What sucks is what you did was most likely illegal. Here in KY it is. Just like hunting out of season. They should have some mercy killing laws for these situations. You could have been cited but I would've done the same thing.

Firehawk7309 11-01-2005 03:55 AM

I was just telling my wife the same thing. In the next week or so drive slower and be prepared to see more deer. A friend of mine was killed two years ago trying to miss a deer in the road. He swerved and rolled his car in a ditch. He ended up passing away from the incident.

fl.huntress 11-01-2005 04:05 AM

ORIGINAL: ShadowAce

What sucks is what you did was most likely illegal. Here in KY it is. Just like hunting out of season. They should have some mercy killing laws for these situations. You could have been cited but I would've done the same thing.
i see your point and agree...new laws would be nice but i'm sure there are buttheads that would shoot the deer and then run it over to cover their butts....i would have done exactly the same but i also would have called FWC as well.

Legacy357 11-01-2005 06:31 AM

i have seen so many deer on the side of the road recently.....the one that makes me the most mad is the nice buck that was hit about 100 yards down from my tree stand:(.....he was hit the night i shot a doe out of the stand.....someone had cut off his antlers by the time i saw him but his bases were very similar to a pair of rattling antlers that i have that are nice 10 point.....oh well

MA Jay 11-01-2005 06:42 AM

The concept of a woman driving around with a rifle in the trunk of her car is so foreign here in the North East. You'd have more luck finding a woman with a live BigFoot in her trunk than a rifle!

Good for you for stopping....

Bird Hunt Dog 11-01-2005 09:00 AM

I hit a small buck with the car a few years back. I hit him square in the middle of the hood on a 98 Pontiac Grand Prix. He flew about ten feet in the air. If I wouldn't have been hard on the brakes he would of landed on the roof of the car! He was still alive and struggling on the shoulder of the road. This happened only 1 mile from my house. So on the way home to get the pistol My wife called the dispatcher and told them what happened and were going to shoot it to put it out of its misery. The dispatcher said we couldn't do that and had to wait for a Deputy to arrive. So we got the gun and went back to the seen to wait for the Deputy..........I could not stand the thought of that deer laying there in agony so I went and shot it in the head. The Deputy arrived and didn't have any problem with me shooting it at all...........We told him the dispatcher said we couldn' shoot the deer......He said the dispatcher was new and didn't know crap!!! So I'm not sure if it was legal or not but it was the right thing to do!!!

DaveH 11-01-2005 10:17 AM

There's a lot of 'em being hit by cars around here the last couple weeks . . . and it's only going to get worse with the rut and more hunters in the woods moving them. I'm glad you put him out of his misery. My wife just saw one get hit two nights ago --it was still alive when she went by, but some people were already stopped.

I found it amusing ( and awesome) that SHE had a .22 in her car and YOU just happened to have the shells that fit it!

That's AWESOME!