Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NOW I Have Seen Everything.... >

NOW I Have Seen Everything....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NOW I Have Seen Everything....

Old 10-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NOW I Have Seen Everything....

Deer Diary,
Before I go into what happened today, let me refresh you on this season so far. First day out, stand is set on the intersection of two major trails. Wind is bellowing out of the south. I get in the stand and after an hour or so, I am not only getting motion sickness, but am starting to think this tree is going to blow over with me in it. No Deer. Second day, I get into the ground blind and am watching does in the field south of me when there is a snort and stomp. The 6 pointer who snuck up behind me stomped on the edge of the blind and the whole thing vibrated. Takes quite a while for my heart to stop pounding. Day three I sit in the southeast corner of the bean field where the deer entered the field the night before. At daybreak, no wind and there are several deer still in the field and they all head straight north. Mid morning I go to my stand at the intersections nothing happening. Before sunset, I move to a hedgerow close to where the deer entered the woods. Deer come out, turkey come out. Before the deer step into the shooting lane, a turkey narc's me off from 3 feet away. Day four, I am in the southeast corner again. Does milling about and two small bucks sparring. I try a fawn in distress bleat and they all start my way. 70 yards out there is the sound of a high power rifle (not legal in Iowa). They stop, I bleat again, they take a few more steps towards me and three more shots ring out. Deer head straight east. Mid morning, I go to my stand and someone has messed with the straps on not only the ladder, but rigged the stand to fall if I stepped on it. I put the trail camera on it and resecure the ladder and stand. Day five, I use the ground blind again. Nothing happening. Mid morning check the stand and camera - Nada. Decide to move the stand.

TODAY - This morning is really freaking cool out. As I am driving to my hunting place at 5:00 AM, the deer are already moving to bedding grounds. I go to the blind and nothing. Mid Morning, I take my stand to a spot I found with fresh scrapes and rubs all over the place. Set my stand up and leave the area for a bit. Winds are 15-20 mph out of the southeast. 3:30 PM I go back to the stand with my military surplus chemical suit on. We'll see if this works as good as scent lok. 6:30 - two button bucks and a spike show up and are standing 6 - 7 yards away. I decide to pass on these youngsters. 6:45 - a buck shows up on the far side of the field. I spray some tinks 69 down the side of the tree and start bleating. Half way across the field, he looks over his shoulder and shoots into the woods. I keep bleating. I hear a rustle behind meand there is a doe 15 yards out. I decide to take the shot. I let the arrow loose and the doe does a 180 and runs 30 yards and stops. I know she's hit, but....then she walks into the woods and lays down right under my stand. Cool won't have to track this one, just let her layand die. It's getting dark and there's something approaching. IT'S THE BUCK! He smells the tinks 69 and sees a doe. That's all he needs! He walks up to the doe and starts to straddle her!!!! She gets up and wobbles15 feet. The buck follows and when she stops he trys to mount her again. Last time I saw her she was wobbling north away from the stand. I want to get down, but there are at least 15 other deer within 20 yards of the stand. Finally, at 8:00 PM, the neighbor seeing I haven't returned to my truck comes out to the edge of the field and starts yelling for me. The deer leave and I get down. No moon tonight and dark asall get out. At sunrise tomorrow, I have to go find my violated doe.But that buck didn't care she was dying, he just wanted his! Wish I had a camera out there.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:50 PM

Default RE: NOW I Have Seen Everything....

That must have been a truly amazing sight. If i may ask, Why didnt you shoot the buck also? but anyways did you find her if so how far did you go after that intruding buck? Very good story.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like a fish story to me if I've ever heard one! Hope you find the doe...unviolated[] LOL! Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only had one tag. Didn't find her tonight, will be out there at sunrise to try and track her. Hope she didn't get too violated. This is my first year bow hunting and let's just say it's been interesting.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's an amazing story ,I hope he hasn't gotten to far on ya ,to make your drag that much harder .Good luck on your retrieval.

nubo
Old 10-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why didn't you put another arrow in her when she laid under your stand? Any time you can get off another shot do it. [X(]
Old 10-29-2005, 01:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

She died happy
Old 10-29-2005, 02:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Why didn't you put another arrow in her when she laid under your stand? Any time you can get off another shot do it. [X(]
I got the impression that she layed down under his other stand (tree stand) and he was in his ground blind.

Hope you find her before every buck in the territory has their way with her.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:40 AM
Typical Buck

Gives me a fresh perspective on the term " Dying quiver"!

Sounds like a good hunt! Congrats!

GH
Old 10-29-2005, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

By the time she laid under my stand it was dark enough that I could not see through the peep sight. It was also after hunting hours. I know some people don't care about that, but, I will abide by the law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.