Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 2 misses in one afternoon, im so frustrated >

2 misses in one afternoon, im so frustrated

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 misses in one afternoon, im so frustrated

Old 10-27-2005, 08:40 PM

Default RE: 2 misses in one afternoon, im so frustrated

I'm not wanting to pile on...but what did you expect??? I shoot year around and feel weird climbing into my stand if I haven't shot earlier in the day! (I hunt almost exclusively afternoons)

Before worrying about your blind set-up...GO SHOOT YOUR BOW! You owe it the rest of the bowhunting community and most importantly the game you intend to hunt!

Good luck...
Old 10-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, you also need to learn how to drw when the deer aren't looking at you.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best part of a lot of practice is the confidence it brings. If I shoot a deer I KNOW it's going to be a good shot. Something can always cause the shot to not be perfect but that's the way I feel when I shoot. I hate not being prepared because I will start doubting myself and wonderingif I will be able to make the shot. It's probably the way you feel now but like you said you learned a valuable lesson. Good luck getting back on track.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:05 PM

You got to shoot the bow before the season starts. theres no way i would pick up a bow and go out and hunt. Just the not knowing where the arrow was going to go after i released it. But any way i practice every chance that i get in the summer.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not only would I recommend sighting in your bow, but tuning it also. With your bow sitting all year, I'm sure you string has stretched some.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:33 AM

you're making it really, really hard for me to not sit here in judgment of another human being.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:52 AM
Spike

Dude, you gots to practice wiff dat bow.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Not picking up your bow before the season is just plain irresponsible. It also sounds as though you managed to spook about every deer in your area in 1 setting. I would suggest either clearing enough debri so you can shoot without trying to stand up and draw, or hanging a treestand. Trying to standup and draw at a deer that is 10yards in front of you is a pretty unique bowhunting practice that not many try.Take the time to sight your bow, scout and hang a stand downwind of the deer. Bowhunting is not as easy as just walking in the woods and sitting down, and expecting to harvest an animal.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:47 AM

Do us all a favor and either stay out of the woods for a week or two to get a good amount of practice in or put that bow back in the closet you found it in. There is no excuse for not shooting before season and I'm not saying a day or a week, but hundreds of shots so you know where your arrow is going to hit each and every time. You say it's better you missed completely than wounded an animal, at least most of the men and women that have wounded animals have practiced and got close. A wounded animal and a dead animal is a matter of inches, is sounded like your arrow was hitting the ground before it even made it to the deer, that's rediculous. I don't understand why you'd want to post a post like this, is there a question you want to have answered, an experience you wanted to share? If there are people here that are going to learn from this experience, they shouldn't be out in the woods either.

Paul