Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hit my first buck tonight!! >

Hit my first buck tonight!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hit my first buck tonight!!

Old 10-26-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Hit my first buck tonight!!

So there was about 10 minutes left of legal hunting time when he can trotting in to my grunt call. He was standing broadside but as I shot he started to turn. Caught him strait on from the front at an angle and he ran off with the arrow half in him. I dont think he went far as I heard him stop in the thick brush. So I waited about an hour before I snuck out of there in the dark as quietly as possible hoping he wouldnt hear me if he didnt go to far. I decided till morning now to go find him as I wasnt sure on how well of shot it was. Anyone have any opinions or had this happen to them? I'm a first timer and didnt wanna risk him running off and never finding him by looking for him too soon in the dark. I hoping he is right there in the morning and that the coyotes didnt get to him over night...So I guess we'll see.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hit my first buck tonight!!

You made the right choice in backing out and waiting till morning and hopefully the coyotes wont get him
Old 10-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, it seems you did the right thing by letting him sit. If he didn't get spooked by something, chances are that he bedded down and passed out for good. Good luck finding him tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like it was a lethal shot. Good idea to back out. I had one do the same thing to me a few years back. Arrow went down his neck and into the chest cavity. He did not go far. I know its tough worrying bout the yotes but not much of an option unless you sit on the edge of the woods and listen for the yotes........dabow
Old 10-26-2005, 10:53 PM

That stinksI hate that for you, but you did the right thing by sneaking out for the night. My brother shot a doe 2 years ago in the chest and we tracked her for about 3 or 4 miles and never found her. We didnt have the liberty of letting her lay overnight due to the high temps and she would have spoiled but she did have about 5 or 6 hrs to lay and die, if he didnt go far then he should be dead close to where you last heard him, if you got lucky and hit the heart or a lung. good luck and hope you find him.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:39 AM

You definitely did the right thing by backing out. Good luck on the recovery this morning. Keep us updated!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

You made a good choice by getting out of there and waiting 'til morning.
With that I have to ask...
"Did you get him?"
Old 10-27-2005, 01:57 PM

I'd sure like to know if you found him or not.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, and how big was he. If you find him post a pic.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:01 PM

Right move by wating.Now weare waiting for the verdict.....

Quick Reply: Hit my first buck tonight!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.