Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I need a treestand book... >

I need a treestand book...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I need a treestand book...

Old 10-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need a treestand book...

Ted Nugent, God Guns and Rock and Roll. Even if you don't agree with his extremeism (is that a word?) it's still a good read. I agree with whoever said "A Time to Kill" thats a good one too.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

If your a man of faith like I am, there is an author by the name of Steve Chapman who has wrote a few books, one is called "A Look at Life froma Deer Stand," another one is called, "On a Deer Hunt with God," and there are a couple of more. Some about fishing too. The way he starts his little inspirational stories out are awesome. He begins with something like, "It was a cold morning, I had been waiting to hunt this stand all season, the scrapes were beginning to show..........." and so on. Some are about elk hunts and some about turkey hunts too. Then he turns it into a little lesson about life and faith. Really is a great book and great to read on stand!

Good Luck.
Chris in SW MO
Beat me to it; I saw your post this morning before Chris replied, but was running late to make it to a stand wa-a-a-ay back in the woods before daybreak. By the time I got back, he told ya all you need to know!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

Holden Caulfield is the most intriguing characterI've ever come across - stuck in an adolescent confusion, but. . . well, I won't spoil it. The reading is easy, it's set in a different time period (late 40's, if my memory serves me), so it's nostalgic, and it looks at the world through the eyes of an irreverent youth.

A lot of psychopaths and serial killers have been inspired by this book, and it has influenced musicians like Bob Dylan and Green Day- I'd guess b/c of its anti-establishmentarian undertones. The best book I've ever read, without compare. The ending is awesome. Not a very long book, either.

Second Place: Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1884). If you've never read it, it's an awesome read. The lingo and ebonics can be slow to get through, but if you take it slow, and sound it out, it really takes you to another time, another place. Huck spends lots of nights in the woods and on the river - great for setting the mood in the stand.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mountain Man by Vardis Fisher http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=ob1Up1RCKq&isbn=0893012 513&itm=38

Good read, and outdoor setting.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:56 PM

I read a lot, and I've got to agree w/ the Catcher in the Rye, Tuesdays w/ Morrie, any Dean Koontz book (except seize the night, couldn't get through it), but a great series of books would be the Gunslinger series by Stephen King, but be prepared to be in it for the long haul. Another book that I would recommend would be The DaVinci Code. As far as Dean Koontz is concerned, my favorites are The Bad Place and Odd Thomas.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:46 PM

"Life from the Treestand" by Steve Chapman -- I think thats the title.

Also,

"Undaunted Courge" - Stephen Ambrose
Old 10-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

THis bow season, I have read the following books while on stand.

Dean Koontz - Life Expectancy

Robert Parker - Shrink Wrap

Robert Parker - Meloncholy Baby

I've enjoyed the Dean Koontz book the best. INteresting, yet light enough, that you are able to put it down every 2 pages, to scan your surroundings.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

I was giving some pre-wedding counseling to a couple so I took two books up...How To Romance Your Wife and How To Romance Your Husband. The authors suggest reading them both. Good info.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:39 PM

Play Boy!! haha J/K
Old 10-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

I was reading harry potter one year on an all day hunt. looed up in time to see about an eight or a ten pointer walk behind a pine tree through some sort of berry bushes and out of site....doesn't mean i wouldn't do it again. I'll just be more carful next time. I usually like to read hunting,4x4, mags. modivational books. The harry potters are the only no-ficts Ive' read since school. good luck. don't read anything that will pu to to sleep easlie..

Quick Reply: I need a treestand book...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.