Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My first deer by bow....NOT!!!! >

My first deer by bow....NOT!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first deer by bow....NOT!!!!

Old 10-26-2005, 08:19 AM

Default My first deer by bow....NOT!!!!

I have bow hunted on and off over the course of the last 8 years or so. I have shot bows since I was probably 14. My last bowhunting experience involving deer (before today) was when I was 17 (9 years ago.) I say "involving deer" because it has been since I was 17 that I had a deer within range of a bow and had a bow in my hand. I have always been DEADLY with a bow when it comes to target shooting. We all know though that a live target is very different. On that hunt 9 years ago I made a bad shot and lost a nice doe. I have for obvious reasons chosen a gun to make my kills since that time. Only recently have I had the opportunity to hunt a place that I might have the chance to see a deer here and there. I have killed a few off of it the last 3 years of hunting it. Nothing special, but good meat for the freezer.

Well guys I just this is my report fromhunting yesterday evening. I had a nice doe at 30 yards when I was reaching for my bow. At that point she caught the "blow" from another deer DOWNWIND of me and ran. I am sick!! It has been so long since I sat with a stick and string in hand ready to kill a deer and my "stinkyness" BLEW IT!!!

BTW yes I use all the scent products like detergent, sop, carbon blast, etc...
Any opinions on Scent Blocker suits? My opinion is that no matter what you have on you WILL be winded if they get downwind of ya.

All I know is at least I had the opportunity to bask in her presense for a few moments before she left me faster than she appeared. Maybe next time.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:14 AM

Default RE: My first deer by bow....NOT!!!!

I have a scent blocker plus fleece suit and a dream season suit, I love them both. Shot a 152" 8 pointer last year that was 20 yards downwind of me, he had no clue i was there.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:53 AM

I agree with deer-hunter18.

I have a scent blocker suit and x-scent underlayers. I encounter deer downwind of me on a regular basis because of the terrain and swirling winds and rarely do I get winded. Now I can't necessarily attribute it to the clothes, but if it is making any difference at all its worth it to me. You or I will never actually KNOW for a fact that these products work, but I enjoy trying new things and spending money on hunting, so in my book its worth it.

Good Luck!
Old 10-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had does this year down wind and they never knew I was there. I love scentblocker,Just hate the price.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

I can't count how many deer i have had downwind and never knew i was there.SCENTBLOCKER works for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2005, 01:25 PM

I shot a deer earlier in the year on the ground downwind on a deer with some simple sent control.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:59 PM

Maybe the other deer didn't wind you but it might have picked up on you're movement. You said it blew off when you went to reach for your bow, so i'm thinking that she caught you moving.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:11 PM

The deer snort was more likely due to your movement reaching for your bow.

Wasting your money on a scent suit is not gonna help you kill more deer.........even though that is exactly what the marketers of that garbage want you to believe.

Be patient........sit still and be quiet and you will see all the deer you are ever gonna see by using simple scent control.

I have had deer, up, down, side, back,front, middle, under, in, out, between, around.......wind and never had a problem with being winded. I think many people use getting "winded" as an easy excuse for any time they get busted.

If you are in the right place........at the right time........and you see them before they see you.......everything else is gravy.

Worry about the basics and not so much about cure all's or magic potions and your success will improve.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: atlasman

The deer snort was more likely due to your movement reaching for your bow.

Wasting your money on a scent suit is not gonna help you kill more deer.........even though that is exactly what the marketers of that garbage want you to believe.

Be patient........sit still and be quiet and you will see all the deer you are ever gonna see by using simple scent control.

I have had deer, up, down, side, back,front, middle, under, in, out, between, around.......wind and never had a problem with being winded. I think many people use getting "winded" as an easy excuse for any time they get busted.

If you are in the right place........at the right time........and you see them before they see you.......everything else is gravy.

Worry about the basics and not so much about cure all's or magic potions and your success will improve.
Thanks a-man, but I was not seen. The deer was to my right and couldnt see me. I know this because I was in a shooting house and there are no windows on that side. I never even see him, just heard him blow and run.

Also,I CANT afford a scent suit,I will have to do it the "ol fashioned" way.I was just curious as to people's experiences with em.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Scentblocker helps, but it is no certainty.

Quick Reply: My first deer by bow....NOT!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.