HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Im after a nice one! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/118214-im-after-nice-one.html)

Finch 10-25-2005 09:10 AM

Im after a nice one!

I didnt see anything this cold morning but noticed my boy has been back to the area. The first tree he rubbed was probably 5 inches in diameter. I noticed he rubbed another smaller tree about 8 feet away. There are scrapes under each tree. This is the first time I have seen this. Is it common for a buck to make a scrape under his rubbed tree? My mock scrape had more deer tracks in it and another scrape popped up beside one of his older ones. So hopefully I can get a glimpse at this guy. Havent seen any deer while hunting over the scrapes which is discouraging but Im hoping.

nubo 10-25-2005 11:57 AM

RE: Im after a nice one!

Ducsauce!

I hope you get your buck ,but I have a question for you. How long did it take before you finally got some attention to your mock scrape ?I've put one out 4 day's ago and have only gotten one pic from my cam setup with it ,it doesn't appear to be attracting a whole lot of attention yet . I'm just thinking of leaving it for a few more day's and if nothing happen's then I'll move it .It's just inside the edge of a bush that I found serious rubbing on almost every other tree for 100yrds ,so I was sure that this buck was traveling this route ,but so far nothing .

nubo

nubo

early in 10-25-2005 12:11 PM

Hey ducsause, I admire you for sitting in this CRAP! Here in SE Pa. it's real nasty out. Wind and rain. Rarely do I sit home on a rain day but this is one of those days. I've seen scrapes right under a rub numerous times. If you hunt long enough and often enough on a scrape line you should get some action. Same with the trail cameras.

Finch 10-25-2005 12:14 PM

Well this is the 2nd mock scrape Ive ever made. I made it last wednesday on the 19th. I found a deer track in it the next day. The big rub and quite a few scrapes were already there before I made the mock. I havent hunted this spot since thursday and I found that new rub and a new scrape this morning. There were also a couple of deep imprinted tracks in my mock. I really cant tell if they are chewing on the overhanging tree. I wish I had a trail cam. You would think your scrape would get some attention. Just hang in there and good luck.

Finch 10-25-2005 12:19 PM

early in: It was windy and not a blizzard but it was snowing a little. I think the rain is gonna miss me today. I see on the radar that you guys are covered.It felt like THE morning but ya know.[:o] Im gonna give it another shot here in about an hour, so wish me luck.

jlm177 10-25-2005 01:46 PM

Good luck with that! I'm sure you will get your chance. If you keep sitting and waiting, eventually he will show up. I am from IL, and around here it is cold too, but since the rut isn't quite here yet, the big bucks arent moving till dark. I have had alot of smaller bucks moving though. Hang in there and kill that monster.

Finch 10-25-2005 06:23 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! Im am trying my hardest to get him. Ill be toe-less by the end of season but Ill get him.

DillerMcG 11-07-2005 11:30 AM

Im also after a nice 8 point I've been spotting behind my house once a week or so. Just within the past few days hes made over 6 rubs and 2 scrapes within 100 yards of my house, including my new white pine i just planted! The only problem is this guy is almost all nocturnal, except for one time 2 weeks ago i spotted him ripping my 3d buck target into 3 pieces at 7:30am.(cool to see!) Tonight im gonna try tinks 69 for the first time and try to lure him out before night sets in........ we'll see what happens. Good Luck to ya!

antlergetter 11-07-2005 12:24 PM

Good luck getting that guy!! I'm alittle confused on scrape hunting myself. I can tell you from trailcams and experience most of it is done at night. Try using a dripper that drips daytime only.