Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What you DON'T need to be successful

Old 10-24-2005, 05:49 PM

Default RE: What you DON'T need to be successful

I have bow hunted for ten years and up untill this year i never used sights, and i still dont use a release, the only reason i even bought sights is because i had my bow restrung over the summer and they put a peep in for free, so i dropped 30 bucks and bought a set of tru glos, last year i started using carbon arrows, and i like them , i get better speed and penetration now. i stay loyal to the muzzy broadhead i dont like the mechanical junk. scent lok... i am a believer, and i plan on buying a trailcam shortly after season, and i always carry a grunt tube you can keep the rest of the junk, no amount of money will make you a better hunter.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I highlighted the items I use in bold. I enjoy using this stuff as well as other things. Such as a digital camera, a compass, wind checker, rattling horns, mechanical release, binoculars, scent killer spray etc etc....[/align][/align]Is there something wrong with enjoying the use of misc gear?[/align][/align]scent lock
cover scents
mock scrapes
carbon arrows
decoys
"the can"
$500+ bows with all of their goofy bells and whistles
trail cams

mechanical broadheads
calls that are anything besides a basic doe bleat or buck grunt
rangefinders
game finders
GPS
bait
[/align]
Old 10-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

don like scent lok
or carbons any primos products
cover scent dont knowy u dont like them but
Old 10-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Poppycock!!!

You don't need a nice truck when any transportation will do!

You don't need a big fancy house when people live in boxes!

There's lots of things we don't need..including this stupid list!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:10 PM

The list for what you do need is shorter

Mainly:
1. Self Motivation
2. Wiilingness/ability to learn
3. Ability to keep your mouth shut and listen to folks that know more than you.

With that being said, I know exactly what you mean, which is the distraction caused by many of these gadgets can cause a person to loose focus on the things that really matter. Scouting. Stand location. Concealment. Play the wind (scent-lok or not). Mental preparedness.

Do these things, keep your eyes open and learn. Know your limitations but always strive for improvement.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

This whole thread is Perception vs. Reality. Wants vs. Needs.

Opinionated to say the least. But it's a message board...so to each his own.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get what he's saying. He's not knocking anything he listed , he's just making a valid point.
For a new archer coming into this blind folded , he/she will be bombarded with a list of "must have's" of gadgetry and expensive equipment , when all they need is basic equipment , andthe knowlege to use the equipment.The most important knowlege they'll need is the understanding of the hunt itself and how to effectively pursue and outsmart theanimal their hunting.

For a beginning deerhunter , I believe $20 spent on a bookabout thehabbits of whitetail deer , including feeding , bedding , and mating habbits , and everything in between is a better investment than $800 worth of equipment and gadgetry.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

One can't help but wonder how people were able to hunt and feed themselves with bows and arrows in the days before they had invented money.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:55 AM
Dominant Buck

"One can't help but wonder how people were able to hunt and feed themselves with bows and arrows in the days before they had invented money. "

Valid point.....but I think "I'm" the guy the original poster may be talking about.

I bought my first bow, this year. I bought one of theose....$500+ contraptions (Switchback)...because I heard good things about them from people I trust....and because they have a great brand recognition. I figured if I got into it and didn't like it....I'd come closer to recovering some of my money if I brought brand name. Now....the rest of the story...

scent lock - well...yeah...I own a jacket. The "orignal" bow hunters had their own form of scent-lok. they put mud over their bodies before going to stalk their prey. Did they know they were practicing scent control? Good question. Maybe it was a ritual?? No question it worked, though, huh??

cover scents - I spray my boots when I leave the truck. Guilty.

mock scrapes - Nope...but I don't discount things I know nothing about.

carbon arrows - Again...I use these on advice of a friend who guides elk hunts (archery only) in Colorado. Call me naive.

decoys - Nope. Again...I know nothing about the use of such, but DON'T discount it.

"the can" - People I KNOW are good deer hunters use them. I might, too. Again...guilty.

$500+ bows with all of their goofy bells and whistles - Like I said...my switchback is the only bow I've ever shot. I'm no Roy Clark, either....but I've been playing the guitar for MANY years...and I own a damned nice dreadnought, too (MArtin D-28). I like to have nice "tools" to utilize.

trail cams - Again...I don'town one....but I can't help but be curious as to what's feeding on my newly acquiredunting land I've yet to be able to get to.

mechanical broadheads - Nope. Again I went on the advice of people I trust that said there's plenty of good broadheads out there....and they simply chose fixed.

calls that are anything besides a basic doe bleat or buck grunt - I don't use calls....YET. I'd like to know what experience the originalposter has with anything other than the ones on this list, though. People seem to REALLY have issues with things they don't understand. Think about it.

rangefinders - Well...I know how far I'm accurate to. I know when I get in my stand....that I look around to see how far certain lndmarks are from me (downed log; tree; path). I feel like it's the ethical thing for me to pass on shots beyond those landmarks. Call me stupid .

game finders - I don't even know what this is. So YEAH!! Gamefinders suck! lol

GPS - I lived on the coast for a few years...and I know of REAL LIFE instances where GPS units have saved lives. If you don'tunderstand them or can't afford one....leave it to others.

bait - Well...it's legal in my state. I "personally" don't find much sport in shooting deer with rifles, muzzle loaders; shotguns ....or in running dogs to kill them....but all of these practices are legal in MANY areas. Who am I to "judge". I just have an opinion.

I'm also smart enough to know that my opinion don't mean SQUAT to anyone else.

Have a successful, ethical hunting season.

Jeff
Old 10-25-2005, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

What about 4 wheelers?
I would never made it to a few of my spots without that "gadget" & my GPS.
Use whatever floats your boat & makes the hunt more enjoyable for U.IMO.