Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 which do you prefer- woods or field hunting? >

which do you prefer- woods or field hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

which do you prefer- woods or field hunting?

Old 10-24-2005, 10:07 AM

Default which do you prefer- woods or field hunting?

I would like to see what everyone prefers here. A good wooded hunt, a stand overlooking a field, or just a field and popup. Or whatever you choose. Let me hear you guys.

Personally i love a good wooded hunt. Just something about them

Mark

Old 10-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: which do you prefer- woods or field hunting?

Wooded hunt, mature oak stand on rolling hills. Never see any big bucks in fields except after dark.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:40 AM

wooded hunt. Ive done it all my life. Mountain hunting seems more challenging than field hunting IMO.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:03 AM

I'll take a wooded ridgetop or creek bottom any day!! Something about a funnel crossing a creek bottom or an oak thicket covering a ridge that really gets my blood boiling!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 11:12 AM

Up till last year, I was strictly fields. I had no confidence in the woods.
Then I went to my buds place last fall, and he didn't take the stand in the woods, so I thought I would. I was hooked! I have never seen so many deer acting so casual. They were walking around, and never ever seemed to notice me. I am hooked on the woods. I would hunt in the woods almost any day over fields in most situations.

One observation is that deer seem to really pay attention to the edges of fields where a predator might sit. In the woods, they have to pay attention 360 degrees. In a field that might only be 90 degrees. I have more ability to hide my movements in the woods. I really like that.

The only thing I wish was that I could see in the woods after a certain time at night. The canopy is so thick where I hunt, that even though it is still shooting time, the woods get dark FAST. I bought a lighted pendulum sight to help me with that this year. We'll see how that goes.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

I'm in farm country, so I have little choice in the matter. If I'm "in the woods" it means a field is nearby almost anywhere.

That said, I'm all about edge cover. The edge is where I'll harvest the most of my bucks during archery. I'll move into the deeper woods during gun season, as the bucks will move a bit more in the heavier cover with the increased pressure.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Dominant Buck

No contest , woods all the way .
Old 10-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mychoice would be woods. Maybe a funnel between fields, or an immaturepine stand with a few mature hardwoods mixed in. I also love to hunt hunt near apple trees in a wooded area.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:54 AM

great responces guys keep em coming

Old 10-24-2005, 12:01 PM

Since I have no fields to hunt in my area, I would say woods. However, I would like to hunt fields if given the chance.

Quick Reply: which do you prefer- woods or field hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.