Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Too early for THE CAN? >

Too early for THE CAN?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too early for THE CAN?

Old 10-22-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Too early for THE CAN?

Buddy of mine was hunting today, had some deer around him a buck and a few does, the buck was grunting and the does gave out some bleats. Another guy I know rattled in one yesterday. Is it to early for this? I'm going out in the morning and might give The Can a try. Any input on this. Thanks
Old 10-22-2005, 05:47 PM

Default RE: Too early for THE CAN?

All depends on the deer in your area and when the different phases of the rut begin/end.

If they're rattling them in and the bucks are tending estrous does then The Can should work.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Hey,
I just harvested a buck Friday morning at about 8. He moved through eary with about 3 does, and they were off. About two minutes after, i decided, what the heck, pulled out my can and gave it 3 good bleats. 15 minutes later, that buck came back on a line, right underneath my stand. I don't know if it was the can, or he just decided to come back to check out his turf? But i know i used the can 3 times, about 15 minutes before he came back.. His neck wasn't real big, so i know they aren't in the rut just yet, but he did seem curious? I am in the central arkansas area.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:09 PM

Yesterday I was guiding a guy and we saw a nice buck making a scrape 40 yds away in the brush. He then disappeared and I took out the can and gave it a few bleats, waited 1 minute and did it again, nothing. We diecied to move 15 yds to an opening and try rattling to see if we could pull him out of the thick stuff. After rattling, we waited 10 minutes and he stepped out on a trail 40 yds away, just walking. I stopped him and the guy let him have it, 146 6/8 10 pt. My point is, I do not think the can or the rattling called him in, he was just following the trail. Up here it will be about 4-7 more days before the can starts to work well. I will let you know when it starts to work for me. Good luck!!!

-Boonie or Bust!
Old 10-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you throw the can to the ground it may sound like a big acorn and the deer might come running. i tried that gimmik a couple times in all phases of the rut and it didnt do nada. a fawn bleat will bring does in running. your area may produce different things but as far as the can it is now in my hunting cabinet with the cough silencer[:'(]
Old 10-22-2005, 07:34 PM

I've been wondering the same thing. I went out today and got in stand around 3 pm. As I was climbing, a doe was 45 yards from me and did a bleat. This was cool, because its my first time hearing this in person. She didn't spook and probably could have stopped at 6' and pulled my bow up and had a shot at her at 35 yards, but it was foggy and didn't think I could pull the shot off.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy rattled today..and I grunted..which brought this guy in full bore at 7am.

185lbs field dressed!

The Can has gotten some good attention..but nothing worth shooting.

Old 10-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

The "Can" is nothing more than a contact call and can be used from January through the summer and into the seasons. The contact called is made year round.....forget the gimmick of an "estrous" call. The "Can" can be mimiced with any call that creates doe sounds...., using the call to rise and then fall torwards the end. There is no scientific data showing doe make an estrous call, when in "rut" or "heat" the doe may make contact calls more frequently so to answer your question, NO, it is not to early for the "Can".

Rattling and calling bucks using bleats, grunts or contact calls can and will work any time during your seasons. It depends on the particular deer at any given time. You need to remember that bucks are always ready and it's the does that determine the rut, not the bucks. They'll scrape, rub, spare, etc...don't misinterpret bucks scent checking does and the does skirting them as "chasing"....I've seen this since the first week of the season and the "rut" had nothing to do with it...again, the bucks were ready, scent checked the does and they were not ready or in estrous and simply skitted off....

The bucks decided to spare to take their aggression out and went back to feeding as a bachelor group....that was the first week...it'll heat up as the season progresses.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: G-Dawg_02

Hey,
I just harvested a buck Friday morning at about 8. He moved through eary with about 3 does, and they were off. About two minutes after, i decided, what the heck, pulled out my can and gave it 3 good bleats. 15 minutes later, that buck came back on a line, right underneath my stand. I don't know if it was the can, or he just decided to come back to check out his turf? But i know i used the can 3 times, about 15 minutes before he came back.. His neck wasn't real big, so i know they aren't in the rut just yet, but he did seem curious? I am in the central arkansas area.
And there necks get big from the all the rubbing that they are doing leading up to the breeding phase.