Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A LITTLE HELP TO A NEW HUNTER PLEASE 2 HUGE BUCKS ?? >

A LITTLE HELP TO A NEW HUNTER PLEASE 2 HUGE BUCKS ??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A LITTLE HELP TO A NEW HUNTER PLEASE 2 HUGE BUCKS ??

Old 10-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A LITTLE HELP TO A NEW HUNTER PLEASE 2 HUGE BUCKS ??

The noise was probably the deer "blowing" or "snorting". They do this to clear their nose to get a better scent of you and also to alert any others to your presence. Really, you should not even be considering a shot before legal hours. What if the "deer" in the dark turns out to be someones horse or even another hunter? Many people are certain they see some game and find out after the shot that they have just ended someone's life and ruined their own. Playing paintball, even for a lifetime, does not qualify one to hunt. Not even close, Sport. You don't have to be an expert on deer behavior to begin hunting. Many people learn as they go and that is fine. You SHOULD be an expert in the safe practicesof handling a lethal weapon and have some foundation for good decision making in the moment of truth. That is where a mentor would really come in handy. I do wish you good luck and hope you keep on hunting in the future. Just remember that the second after a bullet or arrow is released, it can never be taken back. Please follow all laws and postively identify your target.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:46 PM

Oh I agree we practice all safety first, thats why my friend did not take the shot , as for paintball I think that was more of a challange then waiting on these darn deer ,plus in paintball people shoot back LOL. Anyway were givng it a shot this season to see if we like it. thanks again for the info.

Josh
Old 10-22-2005, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't be discouraged. Time and experience takes time and experience. That sounds stupid but it's true. I know guys that have bowhunted for several years and have not made a kill. I am a novice bowhunter although I hunted with guns for years. I ask a ton of questions on this forum and will continue to do so. Be careful out there and if you have a question ask it. Everyone had to learn at some point. I think you will enjoy bowhunting. Be patient, scentfree, quiet, and hunt the wind and you may just get your first deer before me.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:04 AM

Thanks Txrookie I appreciate that.

Were looking forward to our fist Kill just not looking forward to the feild dressing, LOL.

BUT looking forward to a FULL FREEZER YUMMY!!!!

JOSH
Old 10-23-2005, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Check out the post's on mock scrape's with a dripper ,just maybe you can convince one to show during daylight hour's . I feel your pain ,I've been there and it's very frusturating .

nubo
Old 10-23-2005, 07:51 AM

Don't give up!
It took me 5 years to shoot my first deer with a bow.
Sounds like you are in a good area.
I agree with moving your stands/blind farther down the trail, the way the deer were moving.
That will put them in front of you later when it's legal shooting hours.

Also, in a couple weeks the rut should be on and that will help you see deer during daylight.

We were all new at one time and I have been bow hunting for 20 years and still learn things every year.

Good luck!
Shoot your bow as often as you can so you will be ready when the moment arrives!
Old 10-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

WHiteboy hang in there and spend some time in the ground blind with yer friend who has been hunting for 25 years. Maybe he can help you out with some hands on experience. Ask him to take you out scouting and have him show you some things and remember the only dumb ? is the one that isn't asked. As for paintball having something to do with deer hunting I can't seem to find the common denominator. Deer are alot smarter than you think.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:50 PM

Thanks again for all the help were going out Saturday morning were going to get these Bucks like some of you said they will slip up so STAY tuned for the pics,WE HOPELOL . It would be Awesome to get a Buck my first year out , we in a great spot with LOTS of deer , I also hav a Weeks Vacation comming up in the middle of November so Ill hunt ever morning for a week to really see there movement .

Thanks again

JOSH