Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question?????

Old 10-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Question?????

I got permission to hunt a piece of pristine private property in which no one has hunted in over 30 years. The owner is a animal lover but gave me the ok due to some hard work I did for him over the summer. I was allowed 1 guest also. I invited my friend to hunt it along with me this year.After 3 days of hunting it in a row I saw 17 deer in 3 nights 8 were bucks, no shooters. My friend dosen't have as much time off as I do came to me today and asked me why I was hunting it so much, I got the feeling that he didn't want me there because after the deer I have seen and told him about he didn't want me to over hunt it so when he came in over the weekend he could get a fair shake at a good buck. He has never had a place to huntlike this, and he is new to the sport, but come on basically telling me not to hunt it when I brought him on to the property, only when he does. I really don't know how to handle this tastefully. I don't want to hurt his feeling but how can he ask this of me when there are this many deer and I'm tring to kill one to. I'm stuck. He's put me a real weird spot, any advice would be great.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question?????

Seeing as how you are the one with permission to hunt it he may as well get over it.

I wouldn't worry about hurting his feelings. Just lay it out on the table. You worked hard to get permission to hunt this property and he didn't. You can hunt it any way that you see fit.

Friend: Why do you hunt this property so much.

You: Because there are a good number of deer here and my chances of success are very high.

Friend: Yeah but you hunting it so much may prevent me from getting a good shot on a good buck.

You: Well, would you like some cheese and crackers to go with that wine? Oh, I think I here the wambulance coming to take you away. Waaaaaaaaaaa..... Waaaaaaaaaaa!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like you've gotten early signs that your 'friend' has selfish tendencies. Seems to me, he's thinking more of himself as against supporting you in your effort to fill your tag.
If he's indeed your friendthen sit and talk to him. Let him know you have the time to hunt and you'veestablishedpermission to hunt both for yourself and him. If he's unable to hunt due to other obligations that's no fault of yours--we only have a few months to hunt during the year and we've got to make hay while the sun shine--if he's upset about this, he's being quite unreasonable.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:09 AM
Typical Buck

BigBulls, just shot a doe with those slick tricks you sent me, what a hole!!!! Thru the front shoulder on the backside, she was 1/4 away from me. I would highly reccommend Slick Tricks to anyone looking for a awesome head. They fly better than my muzzy's , more consistently I mean. I did do a test on them before the season PM me for more info. Bottom line I had to order more from a company in Utah for me and my 3 friends and my father, they are hard to find. Muzzy's will always be my favorite head but Slick Tricks are something special. Back to the topic, I'm going to hunt it the way I see fit, I think he is a bit jealous of my time off. I also believe that this is his only hunting spot. Remember he is new to the game, Above all he is my friend, but it's hunting season, things get a little weird when it comes to hunting deer. Today he came over and I put it to him like this, I advised him that there will be days I cannot hunt there and would not expect him not to go if I was not there and I also explained to him that he needs to be more unselfish. He is getting worried because I spent the last 3 night there. Anyway I don't think this is resolved yet, I'll try not to be a prick to him but if that the way it needs to be put, that the way it goes. Bottom line, if he is going to complain again about me hunting there, he can pull his stands down, and go elsewere.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

It would really suck to lose a friendship because your friend doesnt have as much time to hunt as you. Id just tell him that you have more chances to hunt than he does and for him to make the best out of the chances he gets to hunt. Tell him you dont want to lose your friendship over such a petty thing and you enjoy hunting with him, but just because you have more oportunities to hunt than he does, isnt going to ruin his chances at a nice buck. The deer will be there no matter what. Ihunt my father n lawsproperty in Central Wi and there are 3-4 ofus huntingthe 180 acres that we like to hunt, there are at total of 300 acres. I hunt it every day. My brother and wifes cousin only have chancesFri-Sun. They dont complainone bit. We all have stands in different locations. If we want to hunt one of the other guys stands, we ask. Most of the time theres no problem. If you have been seeing numerous amounts of deer, tell him there are plenty deer to go around and then some. His chances are higher than he thinks of getting a nice buck than he thinks. The rut is just around the corner. Good luck to you.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:15 AM

Well this same thing happened to me about 10-12 years ago.Almost identical,had not been hunted in many many years. Belonged to the elderly father of a salesman that I bought alot of tools from in my business.

Was told I could bring one friend and bow hunt only. The son (salesman) told me I could probably gun hunt after the dad got to know me. My friend was only to be there with me.

Well we saw some monsters there,did not get any shots,but because of the amount and size of some of these bucks I was pumped. That is until the salesman comes in and tells me I can't go back because my FRIEND was there almost everyday during the week hunting by himself and even gave the elderly owner some lip when the man told him that I needed to be there with him..[:@]Tell your FRIEND to follow the rules you or the land owner have.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:16 AM

Set your friends' stands for him. Find a good doe plot (one where bucks don't come in during daylight). Tell him to shoot a good doe before he goes after a buck. If he is as green as you say, he will be happy with killing any deer. This will help control doe populations, good for the landowner, and make your friend overjoyed, and you win because you are controlling where and when he hunts. Don't tell him about all the deer you have seen and don't show him your stand sites. He will be anxious to use the same stand where he killed the doe. win, win, win
Old 10-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would simply tell him this "Go Pound Sand", not a one of my friends would ask me what he ask you to do.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: lou-lou

... I don't want to hurt his feeling ....

Feelings, you are worried about feelings? Feelings are for girls. And I am sorry for every girl that just read this and got upset....

But those arethe exactfeelings I'm talking about, making you upset, not me.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got permission to hunt a piece of ground here because I did alot of spraying and hauling corn for a farmer and I told him a buddy of mine would like to hunt it also. Well my buddy hunted it alot more thatn I did. I think I only hunted it 5 times and he was probably close to 30 and it didn't bother me a bit to see him stick a monster. We lost the ground but it wasn't due to us breaking the rules, instead is due to a mad neighbor that wanted it for himself. Oh well we didn't own the ground and the farmer really did feel bad about kicking us out. I would tell yer friend that it is how it is and if he doesn't like it "GET LOST"

Quick Reply: Question?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.