Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 No blood trails? >

No blood trails?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No blood trails?

Old 10-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: No blood trails?

Tree climber good points...Of course huh? Blood cavity has to fill to spill! Now that I recount both hits, they were high hits.

So, i guess the lesson here isthe lower the better on the kill zone.

Thank you every body for your replies

Old 10-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

on friday when i shot my hog my sister and i found 3 spots of blood..it was double lung shot so we thought there'd be more blood.
huntnma had to follow footprints and look for splashes of water on the palm fronds...we found my hog about 120yds from where i shot him....she did an amazing job trackin'....we almost thought about giving up cause we ran out of sign and the thunder was starting but then about 15yds away there he laid...thank God we found him.

just exhaust all possiblities before giving up...if you get tired then mark the last known blood spot and walk away for a few...you'll come back fresh and be more productive.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:05 PM

After shooting at a deer,use your binocs as soon as you can!Try and follow the deer with your eyes for as long as you can,then use your ears.
With all of the food available this year,I'll bet all the deer have a thick layer of fat on them.As someone said earlier,fat can plug the holes.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:07 AM

It happen's, reare but it happens ! One of the fastest kill's I ever had was on a buck that I had walking and quartering away from underneath me. I placed the arrow into the vital's from above and into the sweet spot. The buck went about 40 yard's and never dropped a single drop of blood.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:29 AM

I busted a doe at 25 yards... Double lung and cut half of her heart.. No blood there either.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:21 AM

When ever I am not happy with my bloodtrails I have to really examine my shot placement. when i get my shot placement optimized the bloodtrails are thick and heavy and short again.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:43 AM
Spike

You could always spine em'. No need for a blood trail then!
Old 10-19-2005, 09:06 AM

i shot a little 10 pointer 2 seasons ago from the ground with my dads bow cause i was frustrated with mine at the time. a strip of field 30 yards wide and it came out straight across from me walking right at me. at 20 i drew and placed the pin between his 2 front shoulders. i hit a little left of my mark, tearing a giant hole right where all the muscle is in the front leg. arrow went down through the liver and came out below the guts because it was a slight downhill angle. the guts plugged the lower hole but why it never bled from that softball sized hole i'll never know.this land is really really thick so it took me 2 full days to find him because of it.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Ive noticed the same thing. Just this year I arrowed a 6 point who was quartering away. The shot went through the liver, diaphram,right lung, and entered the left lung and stuck behind the shoulder blade. He ran 50 yards and piled up. I saw it all so I didnt have to trail him, but when I went back to pic up a vane that came off, I noticed there was no blood at all. When I field dressed him, there was little blood on him or the ground, but his abdomine and thorax was full. He had lots of internal bleeding, but not much came out.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've had it happen with two bladed heads in the past more then once. But, with the doubled lunged hits, I found the deer within about 70 yards anyway. Usually there will be some blood at least within 5 yards of where they are down.