Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long would you wait ? >

How long would you wait ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long would you wait ?

Old 10-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How long would you wait ?

Fri I got signed permission to hunt the next farm over from one I already hunt. ( land changed hands Fri AM)

Sat and Sun I scouted , hung a7 stands , cut some mininal shooting lanes , installed 3 electric line poles for stands over looking some over grown CPR feilds .

No stand sights offered any clear shots without some trimming
The CPR feilds are grown up with 8 -15' brush with lanes cut thru for loging ( deer trails every where )

I know I pushed the deer around .

How long would wait till you started hunting the new stands I put up ?

Johnch
Old 10-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How long would you wait ?

Give it a few days I think it would help.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

If I put a new stand up during the season, even with minimal trimming, I like to wait at least a week before going back into the area again. I know a lot of guys would go back the next day, but I like to make sure things are settled down before being in there again.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think I'd give it a few day's to a week as well ,deer seem to notice change's very easily ,and with all the scent left around after being there a few day's should be good.

nubo
Old 10-16-2005, 06:49 PM

At least around where I hunt, if there's food, the deer will be there within days.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:11 PM

I would wait until next weekend at the earliest.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:40 PM

Wow! You put ALOT of work into your hunting land and you deserve to harvest a great deer. If the land you currently hunt joins this land, you have probably moved alot of them to your original spot, so sit back in your stand and enjoy the show! Then, in a week or so, they will have moved back to their comfort zone.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:46 PM

Give it at least 2 days...but a week is a little much i'd say
Old 10-17-2005, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why do some of you guys say to "wait a few days"or"let things settle down"before hunting these stands? Because you think the deer are spooked becausethey have never heard unusual noises or smelled human scent and he's wasting his time hunting there because NO deer will move through any of these now scented up areas for a week/2 weeks(heck, I didnt even know deer could keep track of time, very intersting stuff), and if he waits a few days he will have a better chance at seeing deer? Or, will they just forgot they smelled him after a week or 2 and then its okay to hunt?
Maybe, if he goes back and sits in one of his 7 stands he will ruin the hunting in the entire areafor the rest of the season because the deer will not return if they smell his scent one more time?
Or is there another good reason I havent thought of? If the deer that live there smelled his scent already, do they leave the area for a few days and come back when the "coast is clear" sign is given? Or do they bed down and move only at nights for 1 week or 2 weeks or something that I havent read studies on when they get a whiff of human scent??

I wouldconsider most good huntersuse scent control the best he/she can whenever entering hunting areas and if this gentelman put up 7 stands he obviously is somewhat dedicated, right? So, if he hunts there the next day using scent control, rubber boots etc, he wont see any deer correct, or he will further ruin his hunting location??

Fill me in, I'm curious to hear your answers.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Diesel77

Why do some of you guys say to "wait a few days"or"let things settle down"before hunting these stands? Because you think the deer are spooked becausethey have never heard unusual noises or smelled human scent and he's wasting his time hunting there because NO deer will move through any of these now scented up areas for a week/2 weeks(heck, I didnt even know deer could keep track of time, very intersting stuff), and if he waits a few days he will have a better chance at seeing deer? Or, will they just forgot they smelled him after a week or 2 and then its okay to hunt?
Maybe, if he goes back and sits in one of his 7 stands he will ruin the hunting in the entire areafor the rest of the season because the deer will not return if they smell his scent one more time?
Or is there another good reason I havent thought of? If the deer that live there smelled his scent already, do they leave the area for a few days and come back when the "coast is clear" sign is given? Or do they bed down and move only at nights for 1 week or 2 weeks or something that I havent read studies on when they get a whiff of human scent??

I wouldconsider most good huntersuse scent control the best he/she can whenever entering hunting areas and if this gentelman put up 7 stands he obviously is somewhat dedicated, right? So, if he hunts there the next day using scent control, rubber boots etc, he wont see any deer correct, or he will further ruin his hunting location??

Fill me in, I'm curious to hear your answers.
Touche - If I was pumped about it, I'd hunt there tomorrow. I hunted every morning and evening since Friday. Every time out of the woods I was spooking deer in the same spot. Put up a stand, and they came through last night. In three days I spooked them 4 times in the same spot and they came through a 5th time while I was in a stand and watched them. Even when they are not there, I have to cross their trail to leave the woods and "leave my scent"....but they are there again the very next day.

Quick Reply: How long would you wait ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.