Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Early season or late season? >

Early season or late season?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Early Season
42.11%
Late Season
57.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Early season or late season?

Old 10-17-2005, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Early season or late season?

Late season for me, the big bucks reallyneed to put on the feed big time here after the rut, because of the all the snow we get, so they can be pretty easy to pattern at that time, andthats when i prefer to hunt.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I preffer the late season only because it more exciting, more action, more deer moving around more hours of the day and Im not sweating or being bothered by bugs etc ...
However, I still enjoy hunting early season because the first week or 2 you can catch a big boy still with the bacheleor bucks and occassionaly get a shot at em.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Needs a clearer definition of early and late. Not all areas have a split season, so do you mean early in the season and later in the season and where's the split? Here's my take on what I like about both.

Early season: Opening day, which is great for so many reasons. Bachelor groups and patternable deer. Seeing deer in food plots 3 hours before dark.

Late Season: (November) Cooler weather, changing leaves, RUT!!

Late Season: (in the mountains there's a post rifle season) [:'(] Gun-shy deer. COLD weather. Low activity.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

I havebetterluck early in the season but, I like hunting the rut too. There is something magical about the rut. Early season though the deer are usually relaxed so I seem to see and get big bucks then.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:41 AM

Late season here. Right now there is too much food and land. The deer don't have to travel far. But once the food gets alittle more scarce and the bucks start rutting, hunting becomes much better.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

depends on what you consider early and late. Our early archery season runs oct to mid november, our late season runs after Xmas for about 3 weeks. Our early season is your best shot at a deer. Later in the early season is best. By the time our "late season" gets here. Most of the deer are dead or so tightly hunkered down, most areas you'd never find a deer.