HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   competition/hunting bow? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/116930-competition-hunting-bow.html)

Finch 10-15-2005 10:40 PM

competition/hunting bow?

I know that thereare all sorts of competition bows on the market. Can you use your hunting bow as a competition bow? Anyone here do this? I was thinking it would be something cool to get into since I enjoy shooting.

Washington Hunter 10-15-2005 11:41 PM

RE: competition/hunting bow?

Yes, you can.

I shoot 3D with my hunting bow. I'm not into shooting spots, so I've never tried using it for that, but as far as I know you don't have to have two differen't bows to do this.

JoshKeller 10-16-2005 12:40 AM

Yes you can. The benefits to having different bows is if your serious into competing, you will have different arrows for hunting and competing. different arrows require different tuning. I also prefer to shoot 10 - 15 lbs less for competition.

Sniper151 10-16-2005 04:40 AM

Many shoot 3-D competition with their hunting setup and do very well. When you become hooked on 3-D's and want an edge to increase your scores it's time to purchase a competition bow with all the bells and whistles. Scopes, top shelf carbon arrows and a bow set up for speed will help increase your scores especially on days when your range estimation is not at its best. For spots like the field/hunter or 900 round, a bow with longer axle to axle and mild cam are much more forgiving. Shooting the field/hunter round you shoot 4 arrows at 28 targets or 112 shots plus pre-tournament practice. This course of fire is at many different yardages and target sizes in a walk through course. With many hunting bows the draw weight is heavier and the faster cams can make a shoot like this a choir. The longer axle to axle are also much easier and smoother to draw.

JeramyK 10-16-2005 03:32 PM

Can't remember his name off the top of my head but one of the Mathew's shooters set a new world record with a Switchback which is pretty much regarded as a hunting bow.

Finch 10-16-2005 06:42 PM

Wonder what the longest shots in a 3D course go up to? It is something I would be interested in doing during the off-season.

Paul L Mohr 10-16-2005 06:51 PM

I know a lot of target shooters both 3-D and indoor that use cammo pattern hunting bows. They say they are easy to re-sell when they want something different. And target colors cost more to begin with. Model for model they don't shoot any different.

However it really depends on what you want to do with it and how well you shoot. I don't know that I would suggest a 30 inch ATA sub 3lb bow for serious target work. It could be done, but they are not as forgiving as a longer heavier bow.

Paul