Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When should you replace your bowstring? >

When should you replace your bowstring?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When should you replace your bowstring?

Old 10-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default When should you replace your bowstring?

I've had my bow since last christmas and I shoot it probably on average 20 shots a day. (some days I may shoot over a 100 but some days i might not even shoot it) when should i replace my bowstring and will a new one make a difference in how it shoots?
Old 10-15-2005, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: When should you replace your bowstring?

I'm no expert but seems too early to be replacing string. Unless you have any nicks or cuts or the string is starting to fray. On the other hand you may have a little bit of stretch in that string which won't hurt but you may see a differnce with a new one. I replaced mine this past spring and I could really tell the diff. but that was after 3 years with original string. good hunting to ya
Old 10-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Look it over and if its frayed anywhere, even one strand replace it. But its only a year old it should be good for this season. A string is nothing to mess around with. I had my bow explode last year days before the season opener. I just finished shoot a round of arrows, set it down and BAM it snapped. Scared the poop out of me! Luckily I wasn't at full draw! If you have any doubts take it to a shop and have them check it out. Strings do stretch a bit! Good luck!
Old 10-15-2005, 06:08 PM

I replaced mine after only one year.

I didn't like the factory strings to begin with, but the fact that the cable actually snapped caused me to change it sooner than I may have originally intended.

I would say every 2 - 3 seasons if you don't buy a new bow would be good.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

Agree with Washington Hunter. 2 or 3 seasons. I replace mine this year after 3 seasons only because I had to replace the cable so went ahead and did the string, too. The string was still in pretty good shape but I would have been replacing it next year anyway. I waxed it pretty regular. If you start getting a lot of fraying and find yourself waxing it more or you see a broke strand you probably should start thinking about replacing it.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're using a factory string check your bow manual or with the bow manufacturer to find out what they suggest. From what I've seen most manufacturers suggest replacement in the 2000-3000 shot range.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also agree with 2 or 3 seasons. Quite often a string will let go at the apex or nock set. A longer axle to axle bow is not as hard on the string and cables as the new, shorter axle to axle bows. I have found that many string failures occur at the nock set and when the arrow starts to fall off the string as you draw, have the serving replaced and check for broken strands. Another sign of a string that is starting to fail is your impact on the target. If you are a right hand shooter and your arrow start to impact high and to the right, your strands are starting to let go. Less stands means more speed and a weaker arrow, thus, high right impact.