Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Special 1st Turkey with my Bow!!!!!! >

Special 1st Turkey with my Bow!!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Special 1st Turkey with my Bow!!!!!!

Old 10-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Special 1st Turkey with my Bow!!!!!!

Well I got my first turkey and got her with my bow! This is pretty special for me in all ways!! My father passed away this past June and he loved to turkey hunt. He was Turkey hunting a few weeks before he died. He took his last bird from St Joe's in 04" and I took my first in 05' from the same place.
Well I got back to the cabin from the morning bowhunt for deer and decided to give the Turkeys a try, after missing a bird from 15 feet the day before trying to take a shot on my knees behind a tree....it wasn't meant to be.
I went out to the "Cathederal" as we call it and put out 3 decoys and went in side and started to call. I called for a few times and waited, nothing. Called again a while later and still nothing. After about an 45 minutes I tried again and I heard a faint cluck. I clucked back twice and waited. It was pretty windy out so I couldn't tell how far the birds were. The next thing I know they are right upon me and coming out to the decoys. This was the first time I ever tried to use a decoy. I put them pretty(too) close to the blind. The birds were a bit weary of them and kept their distance. So when they got closer I came to full draw and held for what seemed like and hour and when the biggest hen got in range and I had a clear shot I let her have it! She tried to fly but only went about 5 feet and went down. The other birds really had no idea what had happened and hung around for a bit and then finally walked off and I went and collected my trophy! I was stoked!! I knew I had my father right along side me and got pretty emotional and said a prayer! Thanks Dad!!!!!

A quick note on St Joe's...My father had a stroke a on the way up to the property for deer hunting when they stopped for breakfast. He pretty much fully recovered but would get real tired. So his hunting buddies who lived up north built St Joe's and put it in the back of the property so my Dad could still hunt. It was a surprise for him. He went to church every Sunday forever and even while deer hunting. If he missed church he would get upset. So the mural was well done!

I took this picture with the remote from my digital video camera, thats why you see the remote in my hand! I got to camp 2 days before everyone else, I had to do what I had to do! Thanks for listening!
Old 10-13-2005, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Special 1st Turkey with my Bow!!!!!!

Congrats...!
Old 10-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good pic. Great story about your dad. And nice look bow turkey.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the special bird. You will never forget this as longs as you live. thanks for the story and the pic.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:55 PM

Congrats on your bird!!! I know your dad is smiling down on you. Heck of a job
Old 10-13-2005, 10:17 PM

congrats...and that's a great story...very inspirational...not to take anything away from your story, and i apologize up front...but it reminds me of something i thought of after readin' the thread about rituals people posted...i don't have any crazy ritual...but i moved to alabama from Pa 900 long miles, last year (Oct '04) and it was the first season i didn't hunt with my hunting buddies...dad (52) and little brother (15) i'm 25...since i was 12 which really sucked...all of my kills were with them...so this year i made a pact with myself that anytime i'm not huntin' with them i will carry a picture of them with me and pull them out and lay them beside me when i'm cleanin' any of my kills...but great shooting...couldn't imagine shootin' a bird with a bow...and yes your dad was there buddy
Old 10-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the turkey! Great story, I remember my ol grandpa everytime I am out in the field, I'm sure u'll remember your dad the same way
Old 10-13-2005, 10:36 PM

Congratulations on the turkey...that's a feat in its self...to get a turkey with a bow,WOW. And thank you for sharing the story of your dad with the rest of us. That is very special.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:00 PM

Congrats on a great kill. Nice story about your dad and I'm sure he was there with you. I get that feeling once in a while about my dad too. He passed 6 years ago.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys I really appreciate it! You know back after he passed we had a little gathering up north and took half of his ashes and spread them across our property, my son and I took a small handful and put some the chair in St Joe's! It wasn't hunted since so I know he was and will always be there with me!!!! God Bless and thanks again!

Quick Reply: Special 1st Turkey with my Bow!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.