HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Wheeze & stomp = slow return ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/116701-wheeze-stomp-slow-return.html)

slugman 10-13-2005 07:31 PM

Wheeze & stomp = slow return ?

Drew back on a doe today with my recurve and she heard
the aluminum arrow rub against the metal rest I forgot to put
tape on [:@] She blew & stomped then bolted before I could get
a shot off. Question is , will the deer come back tomorrow with
the tarsal scent still there ? It was raining so hopefully it'll dull
the scent. Or should I hunt my other spot for a day or two ?

MOTOWNHONKEY 10-13-2005 08:10 PM

RE: Wheeze & stomp = slow return ?

That deer may not come back but others might. Just hunt somewhere. hunt hunt hunt hunt hunt

Southern Yankee 10-13-2005 08:15 PM

i'm just a rook, but i saw nobody was postin'...but i would imagine some would say it might be okay for one more day but most will probably say give it a few days rest...and i see both sides...if i were you...i would go back just to gain some experience as to what would happen...if you see nothin'...the next time that happens you might not even think twice about goin' to another spot instead...just trust your judgement...you never know what would happen...

dkeener 10-13-2005 08:22 PM

If you have another comparable stand, I would give it a rest for a while. If you have a lot of does in the area, then you could go back. Personally, I don't like going to the same stand within a week or so.

RIStrutStopper 10-13-2005 08:36 PM

I'd give it a couple days too, but its definitely not a dead spot. Did she just hear the arrow and bolt or did she know something was up before that? I had a doe bust me, but she wasn's sure what I was. She stomped and ran, then I grunted and she came back. Again, shestomped and blew this time, and ran, but I grunted and she came back a second time. She finally walked off calmly without giving me a good shot, but the point is, just because she heard something, doesn't mean she won't come back at all.

Dubbya 10-13-2005 08:39 PM

If there are not a lot of deer in the area, I would leave it alone. If there are a lot of deer in the area, I think that you could hunt without any problems. Good luck.

Deerslayer_37 10-13-2005 08:57 PM

give it a couple day break. I really don't buy into all the hype about not hunting a stand two days in a row. if you have the wind, keep your clothes fairly scent free, and spray down with scent killer before you go in, you'll be fine. unless you're way up north and have a lot of heavy pre rut activity, wouldnt even start using scents yet, especially tarsal scents. i'd maybe have a curiosity scent or just a regular old doe urine out, not tarsal. too early to screw that up.